What's new

GT-AX11000 vs RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ganja24

Occasional Visitor
Between GT-AX11000 and RT-AX86U which router is better? I am getting both for same price need to decide which to buy?

Both are older models based on phased out hardware and stuck on Asuswrt 4.0 firmware.
Newer models with updated hardware and Asuswrt 5.0 firmware are GT-AX11000 Pro and RT-AX86U Pro.

If they come really cheap under $150:
- you need tri-band router and the size is not a problem > GT-AX11000
- you need dual-band router in more compact space-saving form > RT-AX86U

There both under $100 and same price. I was leaning towards the GT-AX11000 not sure what the difference is between the 2 other than tri-band as you mentioned. I am guessing the wifi speed is faster with longer range because of the 8 antennas? I could be wrong.

Last edited:
There both under $100 and same price. I was leaning towards the GT-AX11000 not sure what the difference is between the 2 other than tri-band as you mentioned. I am guessing the wifi speed is faster with longer range because of the 8 antennas? I could be wrong.
If they are both under $100 then I'd go with the GT-AX11000 being tri-band but if you have a multi-gig WAN connection and also a multi-gig LAN connection, neither are going to be great.

multi-gig WAN connection and also a multi-gig LAN connection
Aren't those pretty hard to come by (unless you are running a massive data center)?

I’m using multi-gig in a more generic term as 1+ Gbit WAN/LAN, not link aggregation. But my home ONT support 10GBe and my LAN switch does as well via SFP+.