What's new

GT-AX6000 power supply

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fcoayuso

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

The power supply of one of my GT-AX6000 has stopped working. I am not able to find the exact one online, but I have a similar one from one of my old Asus laptop that I think may work.

Could anyone tell me if the router would work with the attached power supply before I attempt this?

Original one:
- output: 19.5V - 2.31A - 45w
- input: 100-240V/1.4A

Spare one from old laptop:
- output: 19V - 3.42A - 65w
- input: 100-240V/1.8A

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_162628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240909_162628_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240909_162414.jpg
    20240909_162414.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 34
Polarity is the same, so as long as it's a secure fit in the router's socket you're good to go.

Polarity is the same, so as long as it's a secure fit in the router's socket you're good to go.
It is a secure fit as it uses the same jack. My main worry was the difference in Amperage and watts, but glad to hear I can use it. Thanks

It should work.
DC Output : 19 V with max. 2.37 A current or 19.5 V with max. 2.31 A current
Voltage matter, as long as the power adapter can deliver at least as high current. Higher Voltage = things blow up, lower Voltage = things don't power on. The only time current is an issue, is if the device needs more than the power adapter can deliver.

@TheLostSwede I can't remember who it was, but a member here had a 19.5V asus router run all the way down to 12 volts.
As you said volts are pushed, amps are sucked (as simply as it can possible be explained).

@TheLostSwede I can't remember who it was, but a member here had a 19.5V asus router run all the way down to 12 volts.
As you said volts are pushed, amps are sucked (as simply as it can possible be explained).
That's only possible if the device has a wide range power input, that doesn't mean all devices will work like that. which is why I was very specific.
At least a lower Voltage is unlikely to do damage, unlike a too high Voltage.

Output voltage should be the same as the original one (it actually is, 19.5V is around 19V). The thing to remember aboat the current (A):

Every device TAKES its current as written on it; in your case the router "takes" or "needs" 2.31A, your adapter can provide 1,11A more current = you are good to go!

That's only possible if the device has a wide range power input, that doesn't mean all devices will work like that. which is why I was very specific.
At least a lower Voltage is unlikely to do damage, unlike a too high Voltage.
All Asus boards are using Buck converters (step down converters) to create 5V, 3.3V and all the other tiny voltages for the CPUs, like 1V, 0.8V...etc.
In theory as long as you dont go below the highest used voltage (its usually 5V) you could use that. But the input circuit is different in most of the devices, that can also brake down voltage before it passing voltage trough (like reverse polarity protection diodes). Also, the drawed current will be higher with lover voltage (Ohms law...). But you can run only to problems if you undervolt your device, so be careful when experimenting. May i will do some with not used ones, in case someone needs the data for some low power use for like solar powered routers or such.

I've tried 4-5 different models Asus routers with 12V PS and all worked as expected. Nothing inside needs 19V nor 12V. Some even have in specs 19V/2.3A or 12V/3A and come with either one.

19V/2.3A or 12V/3A and come with either one.
I think they have only this type of PSU bricks, wich is common sense. Using universal ones, instead of designing and manufacturing to each model a new brick... And then they just put the bricks data on the routers label to avoid confusion.

All Asus boards are using Buck converters (step down converters) to create 5V, 3.3V and all the other tiny voltages for the CPUs, like 1V, 0.8V...etc.
In theory as long as you dont go below the highest used voltage (its usually 5V) you could use that. But the input circuit is different in most of the devices, that can also brake down voltage before it passing voltage trough (like reverse polarity protection diodes). Also, the drawed current will be higher with lover voltage (Ohms law...). But you can run only to problems if you undervolt your device, so be careful when experimenting. May i will do some with not used ones, in case someone needs the data for some low power use for like solar powered routers or such.
Why are you complicating things for people?
If we stick to simple rules, people aren't going to have issues with their hardware.
Complicate things and you're going to get a million follow up questions and people are guaranteed to have issues.

I've tried 4-5 different models Asus routers with 12V PS and all worked as expected. Nothing inside needs 19V nor 12V. Some even have in specs 19V/2.3A or 12V/3A and come with either one.
Until someone decides to use their router as a NAS with a bus powered 2.5-inch drive and the shirtty 3rd part power adapter from aliexpress no longer provides enough power...

Why are you complicating things for people?
If we stick to simple rules, people aren't going to have issues with their hardware.
Complicate things and you're going to get a million follow up questions and people are guaranteed to have issues.
Some people will try to reach the borders with a goal and common sense... Others are just... For example, i have a warranty return AXE7800 board where the user tried to power the board via the USB 3.0 port...

Attachments

• 20240814_222753.jpg
    20240814_222753.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240910_125421.jpg
    20240910_125421.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 24
Until someone decides to use their router as a NAS with a bus powered 2.5-inch drive and the shirtty 3rd part power adapter from aliexpress no longer provides enough power...

I'm talking about volts and amperes. You are talking about quality of the power supply. Two different and unrelated things.

I'm talking about volts and amperes. You are talking about quality of the power supply. Two different and unrelated things.
No, because someone is going to order a 12 V 1 A power supply from some unheard of xinese company and it'll not end well.

And why do we have to discuss this? Can we just suggest that people use a power adapter with the same spec, instead of suggesting a bunch of solutions that are just going to cause more confusion?

instead of suggesting a bunch of solutions

I'm not suggesting anything. I just know what's inside and why Asus uses specific power supplies. Most of the time the supplied power brick is universal for multiple devices from routers through chromebooks and laptop computers. Cost cutting measures. Supplier volume discount, thinner wires, interchangeable. Not what the device actually needs. The VRMs inside have input voltage as high as 40V.

Flipped image because the one in situ is upside down... Top is the adapter for the GT-AX6000, bottom is the adapter for a defunct HP Laptop. They are the same adapter. I believe there is an Acer laptop in use elsewhere in the house that also uses the exact same adapter.
IMG_20240910_222844.png

I'm not suggesting anything. I just know what's inside and why Asus uses specific power supplies. Most of the time the supplied power brick is universal for multiple devices from routers through chromebooks and laptop computers. Cost cutting measures. Supplier volume discount, thinner wires, interchangeable. Not what the device actually needs. The VRMs inside have input voltage as high as 40V.
Ok, you go ahead and confuse people some more then. That's really going to make everyone's life easier.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online