What's new

GT-AX6000: USB Drive size limitation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would have to check. Am solely routing / wifi with it. If you're getting 20's MB/s it's about (only) fair for USB2.

Is that solid?
For mechanical hard disk drive (non SSD/NvME) connected to the router's USB 2.0 port? Yes that is about what one will typically see (20 to 50 MB/s range) for read/write speed to the USB 2.0 connected hard drive depending on the USB HDD and it's enclosure specs.

Want better speed if you are using a USB 3.0 capable hard drive? Attach it to the router's USB 3.0 port if one is available. Just note that using the USB 3.0 port may cause WiFi interference. One can find plenty of discussion in this subforum about that specific USB 3.0/WiFi interference issue and ways to possibly mitigate it. However to get the best read/write speed one should look into using a dedicated NAS with internal hard drives rather than kludging together a router and external USB hard drive.

PS: Cannot comment on actual GT-AX6000 USB speed as I don't have that router. With a RT-AX86U Pro running the latest Asus-Merlin firmware the below are the USB speeds (note: USB Mode set to USB 3.0 for all tests) using a older 120GB PNY SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure and a 2TB WD My Passport HDD. Testing done with newish Windows 11 laptop 1GB Ethernet USB 3.0 adapter wired direct to router, using Crystal Disk Mark.

PNY SSD to router USB 2.0 port:
[Read] 108.749 MB/s
[Write] 43.812 MB/s

PNY SSD to router USB 3.0 port:
[Read] 117.991 MB/s
[Write] 118.243 MB/s

WD My Passport HDD to router USB 2.0 port:
[Read] 104.415 MB/s
[Write] 42.137 MB/s

WD My Passport HDD to router USB 3.0 port:
[Read] 117.714 MB/s
[Write] 118.281 MB/s

The write speed for what ever reason on the USB 2.0 port caps itself at around 42 MB/s for some reason. As always various factors may influence one's read/write speed.

Last edited:
I have 14TB USB drive connected to GT-AX6000 and no issue. It was used with AC68U.
I have the gt ax6000 rog router with a USB hub connecting 4 HDDs at the moment . One 2tb and two 4tbs and one 18tb HDD. I plan on adding like 3 more HDDs to it to see if it still works. Though it can be a lil laggy when doing a few drive task over the network on the drives plugged into router. I saw like 120mb speed transferring from a PC drive to the rog HDDs but the HDDs are limited to around that anyway when there nearly full. It lags abit when I was Plex scanning and torrent checking then trying to play a movie. It might have been the rog router causing the slow down. But still cool to be able to do this. I might look into the 10gb routers in future with wifi 7 or 10gb ports.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!