What's new

Solved GT-AX6000 Write Protected aka Borked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
"The Griswald Kid Did It Again"
After the alpha/beta testing Q4 2023, I was doing a Factory Restore so I could have a fresh RMerlin install. After doing the Factory Restore, then a usb drive format a command asking "do you want to make this drive write protected?", and clicking Y borked my 6000. I am able to update firmware and basic settings (wireless, vpn, etc), but zero control of updating DDNS and other functions which require Write Access.
I crippled this great router to only being able to be used as an AP.
Any assistance in getting this router back from the dead would be appreciated.
Thank You-
Clark

Last edited:
Strange. When and where this question showed up?
I haven't seen that question either. A search shows no instance of that question on snbforums, other than Clark Griswald's. I assume it's referring to an external drive... but during router setup?

After reading your statements, I have attempted to clarify the situation, and amended my original post.
I only discovered the router was Write Protected, when I was unable to update my scripts, and I contacted one of the developers for assistance Thank You @Viktor Jaep
I attempted "resetting/restoring" the router, yet nothing has worked.

When and Where:
The router was being Restored via lan (I logged into router gui from my hardwired computer). After fw upgrade and restart, then from the router gui formatted the attached usb ssd drive for a fresh install of the scripts I was utilizing. When I attempted to format the ssd was when the message regarding Write Protect appeared.
It was a command prompt, which should be able to be located, then switched back, but after futile attempts and tireless google searches, I broke down and bought a AXE16000.

Last edited:
So, the router is fine.

The SSD has been Griswald'd. ;)

Or, the update wanted (i.e. the AXE16000) was warranted! :)

No the router is now Write Protected, and the usb drive is fine.
Months ago I found a link which stated numerous commands, but not how to access the router's prompt.
I would have preferred to get a GT-BE98 Pro and use the 6000 as an AP, but RMerlin only recently announced "support" for the 98 Pro, and I am out of my 30-day return window for the 16000.

Last edited:
So whatever you used to format the external SSD drive was actually pointing to one of the router's partitions?

that's what it sounds like - pretty odd - but this is one of those things perhaps that when doing the full reset, don't have any external storage devices attached.

What's also odd - parts of flash are not write protected, as he can set certain things...

As I suggested above, the rescue recovery flash should fixup things, and I would do a full nuke of the USB device, removing the partitions, and then let Asus reformat iit.

@Clark Griswald - I guess you really just wanted the upgrade to the AXE16000 - and that's ok ;)

So whatever you used to format the external SSD drive was actually pointing to one of the router's partitions?
EXACTLY! Somehow the disk format was targeting the router and not the attached usb.

@Clark Griswald Your posts make absolutely no sense. The messages you say you got appear to relate to a USB drive and not the router. The router itself doesn't contain a "drive".

If the flash memory (not "drive") of your router really has become read-only you will see messages to that effect in the router's System Log when it boots up. If it is your USB drive that is read-only you will also see messages in the System Log indicating that.

I personally don't see the reason this message appeared in first place. About the router - if the flash was really write protected I'm in doubt it will boot at all. The boot process will show errors and every setting change will leave an error message in logs. The fact some settings stay and some don't makes me think a file has permissions changed and not an entire partition is locked. I don't know what exactly happened, but exact description of actions, the result after and the troubleshooting already attempted may reveal the issue and eventually prevent this from happening again to someone else.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some stuff in the past where someone's flash became read only, and it was a B*TCH getting it back to normal again.

Does this relate?

I appreciate the responses to my router issue, and I am still hoping to fix what I broke.

@Tech9
Initial drive is formatted on computer using DiskGenius, then transferred to router where I format again using the router usb gui. Never had an issue with this proceedure in the past. Perhaps what you stated about the DG software somehow pointed to the router;s drive occurred, and that could explain the "prompt message" idk.

@ColinTaylor
I apologize for being unclear.
I didn't know there was a router issue until I was unable to update a script, and the update failed with a message stating write protected. I thought that the issue was only with the usb, so I removed the usb from the router. Failure of the DDNS update forced me to replace the router.
This occurred months ago, and after attempting all "fixes", nothing has been able to get the router out of Write Protected mode.
1-Factory default-Restore did not fix issue.
2-Rescue Mode-FW Restoration did not fix issue.
3-Contacted Asus, but they gave up quickly and wanted me to return router.
4-Back and forth between stock fw/RMerlin No Fix
5- I've now broke down and declared failure, thus asking the Superior Brain Functions of the Forum Members for assistance.

Last edited:
Does this relate?

My Initial Post
Thank You Viktor for all of your assistance!
That was the initial post I found after you helped me "discover" my issue.
Wow, all the way back to October.
I actually followed the ubif forums trying to fix the issue.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor
I apologize for being unclear.
I didn't know there was a router issue until I was unable to update a script, and the update failed with a message stating write protected. I thought that the issue was only with the usb, so I removed the usb from the router. Failure of the DDNS update forced me to replace the router.
This occurred months ago, and after attempting all "fixes", nothing has been able to get the router out of Write Protected mode.
1-Factory default-Restore did not fix issue.
2-Rescue Mode-FW Restoration did not fix issue.
3-Contacted Asus, but they gave up quickly and wanted me to return router.
4- I've now broke down and declared failure, thus asking the Superior Brain Functions of the Forum Members for assistance.
So after you reported exactly the same fault back in October how did you resolve it?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!