What's new

GT-BE 98 Pro MLO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hadesflames

Occasional Visitor
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this issue with MLO. Basically, here's my network details for my connection:

1728813559214.png

You can see that for some reason, I'm connected to only 1 band (the 5Ghz band no less...) despite being connected to an MLO network. I took this screenshot as I write this. Now I'm going to simply disable my wifi connection on windows and then re-enable it. Nothing else. Here are the results:

1728813650108.png

I'm now connected to 2 bands as I would expect.

So the issue, why does my connection eventually degrade after some time to being connected to only 1 band? And as a side issue, why does my connection seem to prefer the 5Ghz band over either of the 2 6Ghz signals?

I'm on the latest firmware from Asus (not merlin for now) for what it's worth

Power saving? If you start a large file transfer would the 6Ghz reconnect?

At least you can get MLO to work on Win11. I have the same router, same Qualcomm adapter and MLO has not appeared to work at all for me. Not to mention, my upload speeds aren’t even close to matching my symmetrical 1Gbps WAN, even though PHY speeds indicate a quality 6Ghz link..

link speed W11 24H2 - on MLO network (but no MLO).png

Attachments

• slow upload wifi.png
    slow upload wifi.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
Power saving? If you start a large file transfer would the 6Ghz reconnect?
Large file transfer did not reconnect to an extra band. I saw "Idle Power Down Restriction" was enabled in hardware settings for the adapter. But I can't tell if this should be enabled to turn off power saving... It's kinda weirdly named and there's no description. Does this mean that enabling this setting "restricts" idle power down?... Or does enabling this mean that a restriction on power is set by idling... I disabled it for now I guess.

At least you can get MLO to work on Win11. I have the same router, same Qualcomm adapter and MLO has not appeared to work at all for me. Not to mention, my upload speeds aren’t even close to matching my symmetrical 1Gbps WAN, even though PHY speeds indicate a quality 6Ghz link..

View attachment 61921
On the bright side, at least you know the hardware combo should work 😅

Probably obvious but I'm assuming you turned on mlo for your main network and are connecting to that right? All I did after initial setup was turn on MLO and let it "optimize" the network for MLO or whatever the wording Asus-wrt used was. Then upgrade Win11 to 24H2 and scower the internet for the 3.1.0.1323 driver. That's basically all I did.

On the bright side, at least you know the hardware combo should work 😅

Probably obvious but I'm assuming you turned on mlo for your main network and are connecting to that right? All I did after initial setup was turn on MLO and let it "optimize" the network for MLO or whatever the wording Asus-wrt used was. Then upgrade Win11 to 24H2 and scower the internet for the 3.1.0.1323 driver. That's basically all I did.
Should is the keyword there 😅

But yes, I'm connected to the MLO SSID. I have three SSID's set up - MLO, main SSID, & the default/un-deletable IoT network (why I must create a brand new IoT network to have a 2.4ghz only IoT network stumps me) so I've left it be for the time being as I'm presuming any IoT network created under Guest Network Pro will disable band steering for the SSID. Only time will tell how my IoT clients react.

I don't believe I let it "optimize", so I will certainly try looking for this option to see if it makes any difference, thanks for your reply!

On a side note, do your upload speeds look similar to mine (~300-400mbps regardless of quality 5764mbps PHY link) or are yours looking as to be expected? Using MLO network or the main SSID yields results within margin of error, so I'm stumped. Running the Speedtest through the router indicates I'm truly getting 1Gbps up/down via WAN port, so I'm quite puzzled as to why this is the case, did I maybe get a lemon? My Google Nest Wifi Pro was performing better..(albeit with less range).

Ngl, I feel like I'm a beta tester with the GT-BE98 Pro in general and it's Wifi 7 / MLO features. I may be better off returning and waiting until software/hardware matures..two firmware updates since release for such an expensive router also feels a little shameful, in my opinion.

I tried MLO and everything just connected to the 2.4 ghz band and my speed tests were like 300 Mbps. I wish there was a way to do MLO on the 5 and 6 ghz bands only.

Should is the keyword there 😅

But yes, I'm connected to the MLO SSID. I have three SSID's set up - MLO, main SSID, & the default/un-deletable IoT network (why I must create a brand new IoT network to have a 2.4ghz only IoT network stumps me) so I've left it be for the time being as I'm presuming any IoT network created under Guest Network Pro will disable band steering for the SSID. Only time will tell how my IoT clients react.

I don't believe I let it "optimize", so I will certainly try looking for this option to see if it makes any difference, thanks for your reply!

On a side note, do your upload speeds look similar to mine (~300-400mbps regardless of quality 5764mbps PHY link) or are yours looking as to be expected? Using MLO network or the main SSID yields results within margin of error, so I'm stumped. Running the Speedtest through the router indicates I'm truly getting 1Gbps up/down via WAN port, so I'm quite puzzled as to why this is the case, did I maybe get a lemon? My Google Nest Wifi Pro was performing better..(albeit with less range).

Ngl, I feel like I'm a beta tester with the GT-BE98 Pro in general and it's Wifi 7 / MLO features. I may be better off returning and waiting until software/hardware matures..two firmware updates since release for such an expensive router also feels a little shameful, in my opinion.
I'm getting my full ISP speeds on WiFi 7. 1Gbps up and down.
1728907001621.png

I tried MLO and everything just connected to the 2.4 ghz band and my speed tests were like 300 Mbps. I wish there was a way to do MLO on the 5 and 6 ghz bands only.
what wifi device are you using? On mine i can select in settings on laptop which bands i prefer to connect to

Awesome, what changed do you think? Last I saw you were still struggling with download speeds
So I’m leaning towards my Intel be200 being possibly faulty as my new WIFI 7 card is giving me between 1900-2300 down/up. I am going to keep an eye on it

Weird because I'm having the same issue on my Intel be200. I'll have to run some more tests
This I really weird as I thought it was a dodgy wifi card a couple weeks ago but thought nothing of it. In a way I’m hoping it is the intel card as then at least I know my ASUS gt-be98 router is working how it’s meant to be.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!