What's new

Guest Network keeps disabling on its own

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cftech

New Around Here
I'm new to ASUS Routers and their config. I have a new RT-N66U. My main issue is that even though I've created and enabled a guest network, it will become disabled on its own without any power issues, router resets, etc. It's happened multiple times today for no apparent reason. Also, instead of having a "Create" button to create a guest network, my buttons are called "enable". Strange isn't it? The user manual also shows "Create" buttons.

Another setup question ... I'm on the inside of a wired router and simply am using the Asus RT-N66U to provide two wireless SSIDs. One secured and one Open. I have the secured setup as the 2.4Ghz SSID and the guest network created and open. The secured 2.4Ghz SSID works as expected. It is only the guest network that continues being disabled on its own.

Should I be changing the router mode from router to WAP? If so, what changes do I need to make so it will work as needed? Currently, I have NAT and firewall turned off and have the IP address set to a IP on the same scheme but the last octet to a IP that is NOT in the wired router's dhcp scope. So, scope is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199. Asus router LAN IP is 192.168.1.253.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Which firmware are you using specifically?

Why do you have NAT acceleration and the firewall off?

What other settings have you changed from defaults?

Try a reset to factory defaults, manually configure the router with the minimum necessary to get it connected to your isp and your devices and then see if the guest network works as you expect.

If it shows the same behavior, it may be a faulty unit that needs replacing?

Glad that you're seeing an improvement.

But, which firmware were you running and what did you upgrade to? :)