What's new

Guest Network VS Wireless General

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
Other than restricting Intranet access and unable to set Control Channel what are some of the Guest Network differences from the general wifi setting? How will these difference impact the average user on the wifi. In other words, if all a wireless client wanted to do was have access to the web would (s)he even notice if they were connected to one or the other??

You are correct.
Of course, a guest WiFi network would likely have different encryption/security keys than the primary SSID. In corporations, guest networks are VLAN'd and don't use the corporate AAA server.

Guest network for consumers likely isn't needed unless you have a file server on the LAN, or PCs with folder / directory shares that aren't passworded.

Other than restricting Intranet access and unable to set Control Channel what are some of the Guest Network differences from the general wifi setting? How will these difference impact the average user on the wifi. In other words, if all a wireless client wanted to do was have access to the web would (s)he even notice if they were connected to one or the other??
Well, for me anyway I see it as a level of protection - let me explain. My 20 year old and 18 year old sons frequently have firends at the house, and of course they all want to use the wireless to get on the internet without incuring phone charges. I want to provide that, but do NOT:

1) Want them to have acces to my network including 2 NAS units, DirectTV, Cameras, etc.

2) I do not want them to have my home SSID password - see above!

So, the guest works pretty well, I now have a unique password, and they do not have "Intranet" access! It's a win-win.