What's new

Hacked GT-AC5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moabdave

Regular Contributor
I have already solved this problem, so I don't so much need advice but I would like to understand what happened. About 2 weeks ago, I received a nasty-gram from my ISP that I had an infected device on my network, and it was doing something that violated their TOS. I work with troubled kids and so this wasn't too shocking, though it's never happened before. I queried all the kids devices but couldn't find anything. About that same time, I noticed intermittent freezes on my home network, where no device could communicate either on home network or the internet. However, I didn't connect those two dots until the freezes got notably more frequent and longer in duration. It was then that I tried to log onto the webui of the router (Asus GT-AC 5300). I noticed that the traffic monitor utilities had all been turned off, (which I turned on to try to find the offending device). When I turned them on, they would be turned off again in a few minutes. I also noticed the CPU utilization of the router was high 90%, even if nobody was using the internet. Fairly obvious the infected device is the router itself, and it's probably being used to mine bitcoin or something. I attempted to reflash firmware, but that didn't seem to help. I know I used the webui to replace firmware. I think I also tried powering up the router while holding down the reset button, then connect with static IP. I wouldn't swear I did that; it was a long day. But I think I did. I replaced the router with a newer model that is still supported by firmware upgrades. So far everything looks normal. However, how common is this? Also any idea if there is a way to salvage this router? Maybe use it as an AIMesh node? OR better to just build a trebuchet and use this router for target practice? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can impart.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!