What's new

Happy and sad for RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nospamever

Regular Contributor
I have had a very good run with RT-AC86U. Sad that it will be classified as limited support from Dec 24. I hope I can still use it with the final firmware until I buy another ASUS router that runs with Merlin.
I have used many different brands of modem/routers and routers and this unit is my first ASUS router. I never liked ASUS as I had had bad experience with its laptop and smartphone but they make damn good routers.

The RT-AX86U Pro or RT-BE86U are good replacements that both have Merlin support.

The RT-AX86U Pro or RT-BE86U are good replacements that both have Merlin support.
I don't see the BE86U on the list? Has it recently been announced it'll have Merlin support? I've been holding out hoping that the BE88U will have support sometime in the future. Not in a hurry to upgrade myself from the AC68U. If I see a deal price, I'll do it.

I don't see the BE86U on the list? Has it recently been announced it'll have Merlin support? I've been holding out hoping that the BE88U will have support sometime in the future. Not in a hurry to upgrade myself from the AC68U. If I see a deal price, I'll do it.
Both are/will be supported, check this thread for more info.

Both are/will be supported

RT-AX86U Pro currently has Asuswrt-Merlin support on Asuswrt 4.0 base only. The last available 388 GPL is months old. When and if Asuswrt-Merlin will be released on newer Auswrt 5.0 base for this model is unclear. RT-BE86U will be supported on Asuswrt 5.0 base, but this model is not available to purchase yet. Preorder only here and there. It will also come with beta tester membership like every new model.

I have had a very good run with RT-AC86U

You got lucky because this specific model is well known for above average hardware and software issues. Many forum members lost one or more and replaced them already with something more reliable.

Last edited:
elbubi:
Both are/will be supported
RT-AX86U Pro currently has Asuswrt-Merlin support on Asuswrt 4.0 base only.

100% correct, but I was referring to BE86U and BE88U as I quoted what he mentioned about those two devices: "I don't see the BE86U on the list?" & "'I've been holding out hoping that the BE88U will have support sometime".
Thats why I linked him to the post announcing those 2 models support 👍

Last edited:
I have had a very good run with RT-AC86U. Sad that it will be classified as limited support from Dec 24. I hope I can still use it with the final firmware until I buy another ASUS router that runs with Merlin.
I have used many different brands of modem/routers and routers and this unit is my first ASUS router. I never liked ASUS as I had had bad experience with its laptop and smartphone but they make damn good routers.
If it still serves your needs, why replace it. It's not like it's going to suddenly stop working on December 24th. On the other hand if you need WiFi 6 support then it's time to upgrade and you can always use your Ac86u as a mesh node.

If it still serves your needs, why replace it. It's not like it's going to suddenly stop working on December 24th. On the other hand if you need WiFi 6 support then it's time to upgrade and you can always use your Ac86u as a mesh node.
Yeah be taking that approach. I have 2 units of RT-AC86U bought together second hand. Both setup the same way with one as spare. I am not familiar with WiFi6 and everyting at home works well so "if it ain't broken....". I don't chase for latest tech preferring to be one-step-behind so that works well too.

I just recently replaced my AC86U with the AX88U PRO. A couple years ago I started running into issues with the 2.4ghz antenna, where it would stop working, and either it had to be reboot or simply turning the radio off and on. I worked around the issue by writing a script to cycle the radio once a week, than later on I had to change it to once a day. Seems to be a common problem with this router but at least with the workaround I got a couple more years out of it and will keep it as a backup.

I got my RT-AC86U doing what I need - so will keep it for as long as the hardware works.

It reboots itself each morning via a cron job - it's actually the hardest thing to ensure it comes back after such reboots. In some configurations it'd not boot up properly 1 out of 5-10 times - so I had to chase that.

I hardly ever need any speeds above AC anyway.

I see used ones dropped to $60 on amazon. Probably worth snatching another one if it drops to $30-40.