What's new

Has anyone ever used RTS/CTS and has it helped ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pfm

Occasional Visitor
This is my last ditch effort at trying to figure out and fix this random "internet" connection drop (yellow exclamation mark but signal strength good icon in taskbar) on my RT-N66U. Here are some quick facts first -

1. Happens only on wireless not on wired. anywhere from every 5-15 mins sometimes longer.
2. Happens only on Win7 machines (both lenovo laptops with Intel wireless). iOs and other devices like TV maintain connection just fine.
3. Does Not drop All connections at once. Will drop one but other Win7 would be just fine.
4. Uncanny fact - it will invariably drop in a minute or two when I play any youtube video (?!)

I have tried practically everthing (disabled dhcp, removed unused networks, updated driver and firmware, disabled 40mhz, ..etc.) but no luck. I am grasping at straws and now thinking about experimenting with RTS/CTS threshold thinking that may be many (3-5) wireless devices in close proximity added to an already crowded and perhaps noisy 2.4ghz environment would be causing these random dropouts. So my question is -

Has anyone really had the need to use RTS/CTS and has it actually resolved the issue ? And how can I determine what is a good frame size threshold to set ? It is set to 400 right now and it has not helped anything. Any advise would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Am in the same boat as you, can you look at my post - ASUS 87 MAC address, and can you confirm if the drop is for for 5 vs 2.4 Gh channel. Thanks

Leave RTS/CTS unchanged. Some Wireless chipset implementations of Lenovo experience problems. Change the Preamble Type to short or auto. In rare cases this solved issues.

RTS/CTS is only useful for environments where the wireless space is crowded. These two won't help you if you already have problems not related to that.