What's new

Help connecting WLAN network to LAN network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bcappello

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a computer that connects to the WiFi router wirelessly. I'd like to share that wireless connection through a LAN switch with other computers. Some of them will need Static IPs and the rest should get their IPs from the WiFi router over DHCP. They should all be able to connect to the internet as well as see all the other computers connected to the WiFi router (SSH/NFS/Samba/etc). The wifi-to-lan bridge computer will ideally be running Linux, but I can put up with Windows if necessary.

Is this possible, and if so, what keywords should I be Googling? Or even better, how?

Thank you!!!! :D

Look for Internet Connection Sharing in Windows help.

Hi,
I have a computer that connects to the WiFi router wirelessly. I'd like to share that wireless connection through a LAN switch with other computers. Some of them will need Static IPs and the rest should get their IPs from the WiFi router over DHCP. They should all be able to connect to the internet as well as see all the other computers connected to the WiFi router (SSH/NFS/Samba/etc). The wifi-to-lan bridge computer will ideally be running Linux, but I can put up with Windows if necessary.

Is this possible, and if so, what keywords should I be Googling? Or even better, how?

Thank you!!!! :D
Assuming!!! that the wifi system you're connecting to permits this...
This is the alternative to struggling with Windows network sharing (not willingly supported in Windows Home editions)..

A WiFi Client Bridge - connects via WiFi to the wireless. Creates an Ethernet port. That port can connect to an ordinary Ethernet switch. Plug PCs into that switch. And plug into it a WiFi access point. That will accept nearby WiFi devices and bridge them to the switch and onward through the bridge to the WiFi system's router. That router has to be willing to grant DHCP requests to all the PCs, wired-wireless. You'll have to be in the same subnet as the distant Router. It gets a bit more complex if you try to "double-NAT" and use a router on the switch. PITA.

There are some few WIFi bridges that accept wired AND wireless clients, e.g., it's both a bridge and access point. I recall using Cisco 1100' family for this (this is in the world of SOHO WiFi, not consumer WiFi.).

If the WiFi router is YOURS, this can be a lot simpler.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!