What's new

Help in Buying PLEASE ..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rayzer

New Around Here
Hey everyone ... new here 1st post.

I'm looking to upgrade to a wireless N router.

I have High-Speed Cable Internet. Currently, a D-Link DI-524 wireless G.
As I recall, when I first got the router I had trouble connecting the Xbox's - and had to call tech support (as I'm not really computer savvy) so certain ports could be opened?

I believe I do not need a router for range (not a large house - everything is pretty close together) as much as I do for speed and throughput.

Currently connected wirelessly are: 2 laptops, and an Xbox 360 slim.

Occassionally connected wirelessly are: an iPhone or 2, an iPod Touch, or a guests' laptop.

Currently connected wired: an original Xbox 360, and a old desktop that doesn't get much use anymore.

After pouring through reviews the last few days - on different sites, I just still don't know what the best course of action for MY situation here is.

I'm also interested in streaming HD video to my TV; and hooking up a external Hard drive.

THE OPTIONS:

a) I was leaning toward a NETGEAR Router (after all the reading). However, I see they have 2 new models; the WNDR 3800, and 4000 to be released this year and think I want to wait for them.

b) Buy now a WNDR 3700, a D-Link DIR-655, or a Cisco Linksys E3000 or Valet Plus.

c) I was also looking at a Iomega 1TB Portable External Hard Drive with 3.0 USB. Any comments on this?

d) *Should I be upgrading all my Ethernet wired connections to CAT 6??

Overall, I would like to upgrade the speed and allow HD streaming. Must have something compatible with the external hard drive and the xboxes - preferably without having to troubleshoot for hours the first day or two - and the laptops of PC and MAC.

Any and all input is welcomed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
a) I was leaning toward a NETGEAR Router (after all the reading). However, I see they have 2 new models; the WNDR 3800, and 4000 to be released this year and think I want to wait for them.

b) Buy now a WNDR3700, a D-Link DIR-655, or a Cisco Linksys E3000 or Valet Plus.

c) I was also looking at a Iomega 1TB Portable External Hard Drive with 3.0 USB. Any comments on this?

d) *Should I be upgrading all my Ethernet wired connections to CAT 6??

Overall, I would like to upgrade the speed and allow HD streaming. Must have something compatible with the external hard drive and the xboxes - preferably without having to troubleshoot for hours the first day or two - and the laptops of PC and MAC.
I don't think you'll see a huge wireless performance difference in any of the new NETGEAR or other routers. You can wait if you like. But you probably won't see either of the new NETGEAR models until June at the earliest.

A USB 3.0 drive will only provide improved performance when used with a device that supports USB 3.0. None of the products you mentioned do this.

You don't need to use CAT6 to get Gigabit Ethernet. CAT 5e is fine.

Is there any other models of routers that you might recommend that would suit my situation better?

A newer D-Link? like the 825? Are there any 3.0 USB routers? Is it really a big deal for my application? (I don't have the Hard Drive, but that was the one I was considering based on some good reviews and a decent price - plus its black)

I would like to just set up a secure home network, not diving into too much advanced functionality of the router. Really just need the high-speed gaming, and hoping to get better connection to Windows Media Centre from my Xbox 360 to my laptop. Currently it said my 802.11g protocol was not sufficient for this and that an 802.11n is recommended. It currently is sluggish and non-responsive when trying to navigate through media centre.

Do you think an upgrade to any of the above metioned products would be the remedy?

A big thing for me is the ability to have both Xbox's hooked up with as much ease as possible. One or both wired. Will opening of ports be necessary on all the products? Is that something that just needs to be done?

Thanks...

WNDR 3700 models...

...also

Just visiting the futureshop.ca website - I noticed there where multiple WNDR 3700.

1) The WNDR3700 - 100PAS ($129.99) *Available in store

2) The WNDR37AV - 100PAS ($129.99) *Available in store

and

3) The WNDR3700 - 100NAS ($144.99) *Available On-line only

Also seeing this on best buy.ca - Netgear Prosafe Wireless Router (WNDAP350-100NAS), its expensive, but would it maybe better suit my application?

Is the NAS what causes problems in communication/connection with other parties over Xbox Live?

Which one should I be getting? What is the difference (other than price)?
Which would be best for gaming?

Thanks again..

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!