What's new

Help..It's really weird. I can not connect WIFI.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aiesec

New Around Here
Hi. First sorry for my bad english.

I have a router RT-AC68W.

It worked very well until last week.

Suddenly I can not connect WIFI.. So I reset the router but it is not working.

And I upgraded to lastest official firmware, but it is not working too.

So.. I changed firmware from official to merlin's, but still does not working.

I can see the SSID of my router however when I connect to WIFI I can not get the IP address on PC.

And the smartphone android and iphone asked the password again and again.

So I changed the authentification to OPEN but I can not connect.

I thought it could be happened by there are so many wifi signals in my area, because when I take the router other place it works very well.. so I changed 2.4 GHz disabled and only 5 GHz enabled.

But I can not connect WIFI...

Finally I add the guest network with authentification WPA2-Personal AES, then I can connect the WIFI.

But I still can not connect the default 5GHz wifi, only guest network is working.

What is problem? Should I process to RMA?

I have similar issuses but for me it only affects my android phone and tablet.
My OSX and Windows 7 Laptop can connect fine to "regular" wifi 2,4 GHz and 5GHz

My issuse appeared after updating to the latest merlin beta2 for the AC66u router. Going back did not help either.

Maybe someone has a clue.

EDIT: My Problem was caused by myself... typo...
Everything working here

Last edited:
Problems like this are nightmares. Here's some troubleshooting ideas. No way to know if any will be helpful. Try to approach it systematically.

1) In the past, I had a similar problem with DD-WRT on a WNDR3400V1. The 2.4GHz radio stopped working on an upgrade release but worked great on a prior release. It also worked fine after I reloaded stock firmware.

The moral, reload stock but go back to the last known working version.

2) Do a factory reset. Maybe the router just needs to flush itself out.

3) Use a wifi analyzer (free download just look for one) and see which channels are used less and which signals offer the least competition for your signal. Set that channel as fixed. Don't use auto channel.

4) On 2.4GHz set it to n only, not mixed or anything else.

5) See if the drivers on the devices that have trouble connecting are current. If only 1 pc has problems, maybe it's just that pc and not the router.

6) The security method should have no effect. Keep it as WPA2/AES.

Thanks for your comment.

I already do most things. Changing firmware, factory reset, changing the channel, changing mode... But the problem is not fixed.

In addition, other routers have simillar symptom.

When the working fine router set in my area, I can not connect to it.

Also I can connect apple airport and hot spot by smartphone in my area.

It's really weird...

Make sure DHCP is turned on, so that it can issue an IP address. If ther is no device issuing IP addresses, it won't connect no matter what.

Have you tried to click on the information button for the wifi, then "Forget this network" - re-add it with the password and it should connect.

I've had to do this with most apple devices when messing around with the channels or any other wifi settings.

I already do everything.
The network information reset and reconnect again.
But I can not connect.. And the router is working when I take it to other place.
I don't know what is problem.

I already do everything.
The network information reset and reconnect again.
But I can not connect.. And the router is working when I take it to other place.
I don't know what is problem.

If it

1) Worked perfectly until recently and still works perfectly if you take it somewhere else then the problem is probably a new source of interference. A neighbor, or possibly a new appliance in your house, is messing you up.

2) If it no longer works well anywhere, the router is broken.

I found the problem.

I think there are some WIPS devices.

I searched the wireless signals in my area, there are so many wireless signals.

The question is how can I find which signal is for WIPS.

I found the problem.

I think there are some WIPS devices.

I searched the wireless signals in my area, there are so many wireless signals.

The question is how can I find which signal is for WIPS.

Try using a program like Netgear's "WiFi Analyzer" app, or InSSIDER's Windows free version or the apps for Android or iPhone, so some other network wifi analysis tool (KaBits makes a couple of really nice Android apps also). Find the channels on which the WISPs are broadcasting and then use that info to select channels that are as far from those within 2.4 and/or 5 ghz bands. Usually WISP (at least in the EU where I'm guessing you're from) can be found on the same 2.4ghz frequencies and on the upper 5470-5725 MHz frequencies for outside broadcasting, and 5150-5350 for indoor. If your router is still "stock" and not unlocked (don't ask...the question is whether you see channels other than 36-48 in the 5ghz band), then you will likely have to switch to narrower channels (e.g., 40mhz or 20 MHz widths) to avoid crossover interference that might be keeping you from connecting. Make sure that your 2.4ghz channels are also only 20mhz, since that will also help with contention issues as well. Your first priority at this point is just to get a stable connection. Once you do that, you can play with speed increase techniques later.

These issues are always very, very tough to sort out. It could be almost anything in your environment. It could be your wireless adapter. It could be some odd electrical motor or transformer you have plugged into the same circuit as your router; it could be dirty power in your home; a nearby wireless home phone system, a baby monitor, local radar bursts that are causing DFS/TPC to temporarily disable your 5ghz channels, or virtually anything else. But start with the obvious and do a site survey to eliminate other AP's and WISPs in your area that might be causing contention issues. Then, try to eliminate DFS/TPC issues by shifting to 20mhz channels on the 32-46 range of 5ghz channels and see what happens.

My bet is actually that it's a DFS/TPC issue, which is disabling your 5ghz channels when radar bursts from local meteorological, military or civil aviation radar is detected. These radar bursts are probably the last thing you're expecting to run into, and you may live many miles from the nearest airport, military base or weather station, but radar is effective for many miles, up to 30, and if a burst is detected, it can disable your router for up to 30 minutes at a time, and with some frequencies, as long as a whole day.