What's new

help me build a wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andremike

New Around Here
I need recommendations on what equipment I should buy to build a wireless network for my townhouse association... I thought I would hook up 3 wireless routers at the main base then add repeaters that would link off of each one. Maybe buy 6 repeaters. 2 repeaters per wireless link to extend the range.. I imagine the wireless routers would want to be on seperate chneels?

First of, what router can I buy that will give me maximum distance? Are the high gain antennas worth it? Should I be using an outside antenna?

Next I need a Repeater. Probably 2 deep... please recommend one with the best for distance. Easy to use, etc... I want to be able to just set it up and leave it..

Please provide me with tips,equipment, setup(if possible)
What's the best I can buy?

How do the powerline routers work? Would that work for a large complex?

Can you also explain some of the difference between repeaters, access point and a bridge?

Thanks

Last edited:
been there. Done that.
Think twice before you build this and become Mr. 24/7 fixit where most problems are the users' PCs.
And getting people to pay their pledged fair share.

This is usually done with mesh routers, from companies like Tropos and their competitors, in the outdoor mesh routers biz.
Not cheap.

In one I did, I found a way to run cat5 to all the houses through here and there and Association-owned low voltage conduit. Some were long runs, so I send power over ethernet to power a switch to continue the runs. At all costs, we avoid wireless.

Another topology solution is daisy chained bridges, with a switch/router for each building of townhomes.

But really, I advise doing nothing more than advising solutions possibilities but don't build/operate.

DSL is really cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but will I have that many problems with the repeaters? Assuming I don't use repeaters and just want to make the wireless signal stronger at the home base, what's the best way to do that? I saw the asus rn66.... I think the current router at a minmimum could be upgraded could I use several of these at the home base with external/outside antennas? Use a omni directional antenna.

How would ethernet over power work in a large towhouse complex?

What if I could run cat 5 cable under ground to a building.... what is the maximum distance I could run the cable? Then what bridge/wireless router could I use than? Can I use the asus 66 or do you recommned something else?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!