What's new

Help me choose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zarul

New Around Here
Hello.
I recently upgraded my internet subscription and now I have the following bandwidth:

- download 12 MB/s
- upload 750 KB/s

I want to share this connection in my home and I need a wireless router as follows:

- 1 gigabit WAN port
- 4 gigabit wired LAN ports (the Ethernet cards I have support gigabit)
- dual wireless band
- able to support many connections form LAN to WAN (for torrents)
- good wireless transfer
- good wireless range
- many configuration options (I will be keeping it for many years and I want to know it can adapt further necessities)
- supported by open firmware (if the only drawback the router has it's the original firmware)

I read the article „How To Choose the Right Wireless LAN for You”,the Wireless Charts and the reviews for the following routers:

- Asus RT-N16
- D-Link Xtreme N Storage Router (DIR-685)
- Draytek High Speed Gigabit Router (Vigor 2130n)
- EnGenius ESR9850
- Linksys Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band (WET610N)
- Linksys Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (WRT400N)
- Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNDR3700)

However, I'm not tech savvy and I don't understand all the technicalities and the standards and acronyms used there.
I want to ask anyone interested in helping me, what should I choose ?
Are there any better ones, wich I didn't list above ?

Last edited:
First, if you are not "tech savvy", you shouldn't be installing alternative firmware. You could brick your router.

The WET610N is not a router. The RT-N16, DIR-685, Vigor 2130n and ESR9850 are not dual-band.

I'd choose between a NETGEAR WNDR3700 and Cisco Linksys E3000 (WRT610N).

Thank you for your answer.
I'll keep in mind your advice about installing router firmware.

Also remember that dual-band does not necessarily denote that it is "simultaneous radio" dual band. Meaning it will not be emitting two networks at the same time, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Also remember that dual-band does not necessarily denote that it is "simultaneous radio" dual band. Meaning it will not be emitting two networks at the same time, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Note, that Trendnet TEW-673GRU does in fact provide this feature, but you'll need a 5Ghz adapter for it to work for 802.11a/n mix mode only.

I see.
So if I would left out the dual band feature, which is better between
Draytek Vigor 2130n and Netgear WNDR3700 ?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!