What's new

Help needed for Data Recovery from My Book World Edition II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kraft_mk

New Around Here
Help needed for Data Recovery from My Book World Edition II.

A friend of mine has a WD NAS - WD My Book World Edition 2. (Mirror mode.)
His folder shares have same names as profiles that are created on his home 3-pc network. Yesterday he had a problem accessing his folder share and he did the unthinkable.

The problem.
He log on to his NAS setup page and tried to “refresh” user profiles that someone created for him a year ago..
How? He recreated his folder share by deleting it first !!!!
He was assuming that he is recreating his user profile credentials. The damage was done.
Later he reinstalled some drivers and NAS started to work. But of course his network share folder was empty.
All this happened in 5 minutes and now I am trying for him to find the best scenario to TRY returning the data, if possible at all.

My questions.
Drive model : WD NAS - WD My Book World Edition 2 ,(2x1TB working in mirror mode.)
Product page.
After the folder share was deleted , not a single byte was written on the NAS.
- What is the best way to try to recover the data?
- Can I remove one disk, attach the disc to a W7 PC and try a data recovery? WD NAS WE2 is Linux based so I don’t have any idea if that’s possible. If this is not possible, is there some bootable data recovery CD that will help me do this?

Thank you,
K

Last edited:
WD uses the HFS+ filesystem. You would have better luck trying to recover data by attaching the drive to a MacOS system.