What's new

Help: Rural home needs big wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skates

New Around Here
- 3000 sqft single story brick home on 40 acres
- Cellular coverage is only possible inside home with 2-piece cellular amplifier provided by carrier. Outdoors, cell coverage it is hit and miss, usually miss.
- Current Internet is via a terrestrial based directional radio antenna/modem on chimney with an indoor, centrally located, Linksys E4200.
- Indoor coverage is 'ok,' but it could be better.
- Outdoor coverage is non-existent. Even in the attached garage.
- Ping 17, Down 30Mbps, Up 5Mbps. I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Ordered priorities:
1. Better wifi around immediate house. In the attached garage, and on the back porch where I don't normally get coverage.
2. Wifi around the yard (2 acres/80,000 sqft), so our phones would remain attached for calls/texts via internet calling.
3. Wifi out to the barn. Line of sight from house 400'...some trees between.
4. Stretch goal: Wifi in the lower pasture...would need some sort of solar power source...densely wooded between house and other end of property. 1500' line of sight.

I was originally looking at the Linksys Velop Tri-Band Mesh for inside the house, putting 1 node at the center, and the other 2 against walls at the far ends of the house...hoping that I'd get better signal inside and some signal in the near-vicinity outside the house.

But then wondered if two Asus routers linked via ethernet, AiMesh would be better, stronger.

But then I wondered if I'd be better served looking at something entirely different and mounting some other type of antenna system up on the chimney and on top of the barn, etc...

Not a network engineer, but I do have an IT background.

Thanks!

- 3000 sqft single story brick home on 40 acres
- Cellular coverage is only possible inside home with 2-piece cellular amplifier provided by carrier. Outdoors, cell coverage it is hit and miss, usually miss.
- Current Internet is via a terrestrial based directional radio antenna/modem on chimney with an indoor, centrally located, Linksys E4200.
- Indoor coverage is 'ok,' but it could be better.
- Outdoor coverage is non-existent. Even in the attached garage.
- Ping 17, Down 30Mbps, Up 5Mbps. I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Ordered priorities:
1. Better wifi around immediate house. In the attached garage, and on the back porch where I don't normally get coverage.
2. Wifi around the yard (2 acres/80,000 sqft), so our phones would remain attached for calls/texts via internet calling.
3. Wifi out to the barn. Line of sight from house 400'...some trees between.
4. Stretch goal: Wifi in the lower pasture...would need some sort of solar power source...densely wooded between house and other end of property. 1500' line of sight.

I was originally looking at the Linksys Velop Tri-Band Mesh for inside the house, putting 1 node at the center, and the other 2 against walls at the far ends of the house...hoping that I'd get better signal inside and some signal in the near-vicinity outside the house.

But then wondered if two Asus routers linked via ethernet, AiMesh would be better, stronger.

But then I wondered if I'd be better served looking at something entirely different and mounting some other type of antenna system up on the chimney and on top of the barn, etc...

Not a network engineer, but I do have an IT background.

Thanks!

Lots of options here: https://airmax.ubnt.com/

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!