What's new

Help setting up Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Director

New Around Here
Hey all,

First post here, I did a search but couldn't find my exact problem. (Hope this is the right section)

I've got an Asus RT-N66U running the latest Merlin FW but have the same problem if I the original ASUS FW.

I'm having issues with the home network.

It was working OK using a Thomspon router from my old ISP (Telstra) but I wanted a bit more wireless range and the Thomson was a bit flakey on occasion and locked down with Telstra firmware.
So after doing some research I settled on an Asus RT-N66U router to replace it, I also have an Asus 8 port switch which plugs into the router and some of the devices plug into that.

So on the network I have PC1, PC2, a NAS, a laptop (wireless) and Popcornhour media streamer.

If I open the laptop (linux) I can everything except PC1 and the NAS.
If I open PC2 I can see all devices except PC1.
On PC1, if I click 'network' it only shows PC1 and no other devices.
All PC's are in 'workgroup'.

After I unchecked IPv6 in the router yesterday the netwrok started working as normal and all devices could see each other. It was still working OK this morning then sometime during the day it started dropping devices from the network to the point where I can't see anything on PC1. I can PING all devices no problem.

If I look at the Asus router it shows all devices connected and all in the proper domain 192.168.1.x

But I'm out of ideas, is it a dodgy router or is there something in the Asus setup that I should have been doing but didn't? (I did a factory reset yesterday to no avail) Have latest firmware etc.

PC1 and PC2 are running Windows 7 pro, the laptop is running Windows 8/ Linuxmint 16 (same result with either OS)?

Again, this is an intermittent problem with the Asus router and I had no issues with the Thompson router.

I'm a bit of a router noob so I hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks

(edit, just tried a new NIC in PC1 (main PC) and the network cam back, I can see all devices across the network. So I guess it 'could' have been a faulty NIC but why would the old NIC work on the Thompson router but not eh ASUS? FWIW PC1, the main PC is a Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 mobo. A few years old now but still seems fine otherwise. Was using the motherboard NIC. I'll keep the thread open for a few days if that's OK with the mods in case I merely fluked it with the NIC and the problem returns. Thanks )

(Further update, seems to have been an ESET firewall issue. Will check for a couple of days though. :)

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!