What's new

Help setting up OpenVPN using HideMyAss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpykeYs

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I just subscribed to HideMyAss.

My goal is to connect to one of their server using OpenVPN on the router.

Here is the tutorial I followed:

http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Tomato_OpenVPN_Setup

From my understanding, OpenVPN feature has been brought over from Tomato.

So far, my problem is this:

Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: OpenVPN 2.2.2 mipsel-linux [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] built on Dec 31 2012
Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: Error reading username and password (must be on two consecutive lines) from Auth authfile: /tmp/userpass.conf
Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: Exiting

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I just subscribed to HideMyAss.

My goal is to connect to one of their server using OpenVPN on the router.

From my understanding, OpenVPN feature has been brought over from Tomato.

So far, my problem is this:

Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: OpenVPN 2.2.2 mipsel-linux [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] built on Dec 31 2012
Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: Error reading username and password (must be on two consecutive lines) from Auth authfile: /tmp/userpass.conf
Feb 8 21:21:20 openvpn[943]: Exiting

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Hello,

How did you enter your username and password?

Hello,

How did you enter your username and password?

Also note that the password, at least for PPTP connections with HMA, is not the same password as your account password. You will need to check for an Open connection.

Hey Guys,

To set my password, I went to the tools section of the router where you can run cmd's.

I ran the following:

echo USERNAME > /tmp/userpass.conf
echo PASSWORD >> /tmp/userpass.conf
chmod 600 /tmp/userpass.conf

I of course renamed USERNAME and PASSWORD with the proper credentials.

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks!

Suggestion

It looks like you did everything right but this is just a suggestion.

I don't know if this will even work and is useful mainly when you echo special characters but what if you tried to put the username and password in quotes in the start up script?

I have used the web page setup for openvpn and it worked OK butI didn't have to create a credentials file for openvpn. There is an option in the openvpn client webpage to select username/password authentication or not. You should also try this.

I removed the script portion and entered username and password as suggested in the GUI..

Working well now.. Yay!!

Thanks so much..

Question now..

Let's say i'm downloading a torrent behind OpenVPN and i'm on a Russia server for example.. and then I lose connection to the russia server. What happen at this point ? Will it switch me back to my own connection ?

If so, is there a way to prevent this ?

Thanks so much guys!

If you are downloading on a single computer that always needs to be connected to the HMA tunnel then set up a DHCP reservation for that computer to make the IP static and then create an IP rule to block all traffic from that computer from going out the physical interface. For example:
In the command line type:

iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -s 192.168.0.25 -o eth0 -j DROP

This would block all traffic from you torrent machine from going out the physical WAN interface in case the tunnel goes down. Traffic would still be allowed out the tunnel interface.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!