What's new

help/suggestions with Android USB tether 3G/4G fuction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smarmy

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I've been trolling this site a bit to try and find some answers but that and Google have not gotten me far, so I'm posting this:

Has anyone actually gotten an Android device to work properly using the USB tether function in the 3.0.0.4.270 firmware?

I have a grandfathered VZW unlimited plan and a Galaxy Nexus on Android 4.2.2 and have had no luck.

I tried the settings in the post below, but got no love:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9775

When connected and put into USB tether mode, the phone shows as a USB 3G Dongle and the device name shows up when configuring the connection on the router itself so the appear to be talking, but it doesn't pull an IP no matter what I've tried.

HALP! :eek:

Seriously, any ideas, settings, experience would be great. Otherwise this guy is going back to the store tomorrow.

-Smarmy

You don't have another internet connection connected to the router do you? If you have a working internet connection I don't think it will do much. Can't recall if it will grab an IP or not ahead of time.

I've used it with a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile no problem in both a failover situation and when it was the only connected internet source.

it is the only source, did you have to do anything special in the configuration with your nexus 4?

I have had success with this. You need to disconnect your primary connection (cable modem or whatever) first, then plug the phone in to the router, then put it in USB tether mode. It should connect automatically.

My config is attached. It really just has the #777 in there... Hope this helps

Attachments

• usb tether.png
    usb tether.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 780
No Luck USB Tethering With Asus RT-AC68U/VZ Droid 4

I have had success with this. You need to disconnect your primary connection (cable modem or whatever) first, then plug the phone in to the router, then put it in USB tether mode. It should connect automatically.

My config is attached. It really just has the #777 in there... Hope this helps

Resurrecting an old thread.........

I've had no success tethering an ASUS RT-AC68U and Verizon Droid 4 Ver 4.1.2 using many different settings, including the #777 one. I can connect to the Droid, but there is no internet connection. The phone itself connects to the internet, and does also as a wi-fi hotspot, but no luck with USB tethering. Any suggestions?

I think I solved my problem. It seems you have to turn OFF Mobile Hot Spot for the USB Tether to work. I stumbled across this by accident, and 1 hour+ it's still working. I didn't find this info anywhere. Maybe it's a simple fix that is known....IDK. But it's working for me so far.

did u guys have to jail break your phones to make this work?

did you turn on or off usb debugging in developer options?

doesn't Verizon keep you from turning on usb tethering unless you pay extra for it?

I got a mobile hot spot app for the droid called "FoxFi" that turns the phone into a wireless router, and it works great and I don't have to pay extra. it also allows a computer to use the phone via a usb tether, but it requires an app for that on the computer as well. so I don't know if that would work with the asus router, or if it would work but incur Verizon charges?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21265

Last edited:
I am trying to get the Android USB Tethering to work as well.

I have the RT-N65U, with ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.372_1363, and Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2

Is there a better firmware to use than this?

Looking at the ASUS Network Map, the internet status says "connected", but when I connect to the ASUS router WIFI with other wireless devices, they are unable to access the internet. This is really the first time I have messed with a wireless router, so hopefully it is just one of the many settings that I do not fully understand yet.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Attachments

• RT-N65U Network Map.jpg
    RT-N65U Network Map.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 888
Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!