What's new

Help Wanted - How to make Linksys Wireless Router a Wireless Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muni

New Around Here
I have a Linksys EA6500 wireless router, Is it possible to make and use my Linksys EA6500 in universal repeater for boosting signals of my new Asus rt-ac68u.

If yes, please guide me how to do this.

Will I be able to get the same range of Linksys EA6500 in universal repeater mode as I was getting it in normal wireless router mode.

I have a Linksys EA6500 wireless router, Is it possible to make and use my Linksys EA6500 in universal repeater for boosting signals of my new Asus rt-ac68u.

If yes, please guide me how to do this.

Will I be able to get the same range of Linksys EA6500 in universal repeater mode as I was getting it in normal wireless router mode.
Stock firmware does not have a "WDS Repeater" capability. A.k.a. range extender. Know that any WDS repeater will halve the WiFi data throughput (speed) because it must receive then retransmit (50% duty cycle).

The preferred way to improve coverage is to reposition the WiFi router. Failing that, the usual solution is to add a WiFi access point (AP) to your LAN. You can re-purpose any WiFi router as an AP, or purchase a product with an AP mode (like the ASUS RT-N12 and others). Place the AP nearer the weak signal area. Connect the AP to the router via cat5 cable or a cat5 cable replacement such as HomePlug or MoCA (see the forum sections on that).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!