What's new

Help with Moca backhaul - newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK. So I tried a bunch of stuff. Attached is my final (current) config. The netgear mesh shows that the backhaul is using the wired backhaul, not wifi.

What I discovered is that even though the moca network has no direct connection to my router all the satellites AND the hardware attached via ethernet to the satellites have IP addresses assigned in network A. Working great! Thanks to everyone for the help.
That is because your satellites are APs, not routers. APs do not typically have a DHCP server function. So the AP passes the DHCP address request to the router/device providing that service. In this case it is the Firewalla router (network A).

If your APs support VLANs and your Firewalla router supports VLANs, then you can configure each AP with whichever VLAN #IDs ( each SSID will have a unique VLAN ID) and associate that TCP/IP address with that VLAN in the Firewalla router VLAN configure page and DHCP server page.

For example, i have 4 VLANs on my network of 1 router and 4 APs. When a client associates with an AP, it is assigned an address depending on which SSID it joins. So if a client associates with my GUEST SSID, it is assigned to VLAN 50 with an address of 192.168.50.xxx . VLAN 50 only has access to the internet based on rules in my router firewall.

MOCA is completely transparent to the ethernet and wireless network. It is just a cable, functionally.

IF you want more or less seamless roaming for a wifi client, you will have to configure the same SSID ( and VLANs) on each AP for that class of client ( Guest, Admin, resident, etc).

Last edited:
Because that’s what’s necessary for them all to be on the same LAN and communicate with each other and the primary router, to function as a single network.
Thanks @krkaufman, but my subnet routers connected to the main router via MoCA and running in router mode appear to be working fine.

Maybe I'm not understanding this, I thought MoCA was used to connect all devices in the same network, but with my setup I am able to connect different networks via MoCA and they are all playing nicely.

The only issue now I'm having is there is one computer that is connected directly to the network via MoCA. This computer was working fine before the introduction of subnets, but now with subnets, it is getting slow internet speed and poor network connectivity even though it is getting the IP address from the main router.

What could be the cause of this problem and how to fix it?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!