What's new

Help with p2p file sharing disaster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4Leaf

Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent other individuals on the internet from downloading files from someone on my internet's pc using p2p file sharing. I am trying to prevent this from happening from my router directly instead of the pc using my wireless network. I want to do this without stopping both upload and download bandwidth from being drained on my internet. I am just trying to stop people from downloading from our internet, which is using up all of our upload bandwidth.

I do of course have qos being put into use. However, my limit on our upload speed is proving not to be enough for this situation. I am currently limiting our upload bandwidth to 1 mbps out of a total of between 2-2.7 mbps. It is blowing my mind that the upload bandwidth being drained from our internet is so much that it even over comes this and also the proper priorities being set to all internet traffic. Our upload bandwidth has been being drained now for 4 to 5 days continuously. I know so because I have been watching the traffic on my traffic monitoring page on my rt-n66r.

Help would be much appreciated my friends.
Thank you in advance, as always.

Attack the problem at the root cause: don't run P2P applications on your computers, or configure them to throttle their connections speed.

Attack the problem at the root cause: don't run P2P applications on your computers, or configure them to throttle their connections speed.

So I did a little covert operation and got on the individuals pc on my network and set bit torrent on his pc to stop seeding after download is complete and also I limited the upload speed to 1 kbps.

Do you think that limiting the upload speed to 1 kbps would dramatically slow down the download speed when downloading something on bit torrent?

I'm not sure if it would or not because I believe that when someone is downloading something on bit torrent you are using someone else's upload instead of your own.

As far as I am aware of there is no way to completely disable the upload.

Last edited:
So I did a little covert operation and got on the individuals pc on my network and set bit torrent on his pc to stop seeding after download is complete and also I limited the upload speed to 1 kbps.

Do you think that limiting the upload speed to 1 kbps would dramatically slow down the download speed when downloading something on bit torrent?

I'm not sure if it would or not because I believe that when someone is downloading something on bit torrent you are using someone else's upload instead of your own.

As far as I am aware of there is no way to completely disable the upload.

A lot of peers might throttle you down if you don't share enough in return. Also, starving the upload that badly will directly impact downloading itself as it will prevent your client from effectively communicating with peers (you have to send back ACK packets, for example). I would recommend setting the upload value to a higher value than 1 Kbps, and focus on configuring the client to stop seeding once it has reached a certain ratio.

Back when I had a 10 Mbps ADSL with a small monthly quota, I would set my upload speed to 30 KB/s, and tell it to stop seeding once it reached 100% (meaning I gave as much as I got). Now that I got a faster connection with a much larger monthly quota, I just set the upload speed to about 50% of my max upload rate, and set the share ratio do 2:1.