What's new

Help with router and extender for NYC Apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MichaelZ

New Around Here
We have a Verizon Router, Actiontec M1424WR. My
son tells me there is a better router, a 5GH Router that we can get. What I want
to ask is now that we are in the market for a better router:
1) Does anyone know if Verizon have a better one?
2) Do you know if we can we switch out theirs for one that we purchase ourselves? And if so what would people recommend?
3) Would we still need an extender in an NYC apartment (The router is back in the kitchen!) and if so, what would people recommend for the new router?

Many thanks for any help and advice!

There are better routers, yes. What wireless devices do you have?

There are better routers, yes. What wireless devices do you have?
The normal. 3 cell phones (2 of them iPhones) a Mac and a PC laptop. Expecting a 4th cell and another laptop in the next year or so. Problem is getting wifi to the bedrooms.

The normal. 3 cell phones (2 of them iPhones) a Mac and a PC laptop. Expecting a 4th cell and another laptop in the next year or so. Problem is getting wifi to the bedrooms.

How you install the new router will depend on if you have TV and or Phone service from Verizon.

The new router Verizon is offering is better does have a dual band radio. There are better routers available if you are willing to spend the money.

The best solution to your problem is to add one or more MOCA connected APs to your network particularly if you have coaxial cable in the bedrooms. Verizon sells the dual band APs on line and the setup is plug and play. You also may find them at Verizon retail outlets. (Model WCB3000N)

I'd move to an AC1900 class router. Use the Router Ranker to help choose.
It should improve performance even for non 802.11ac devices. You can just cascade it (connecte new router WAN to a LAN port) with the Actiontec, but shut off the radios on the Actiontec.

You can also configure the new router as an access point, to avoid double-NAT problems. You'll still need to shut off the Actiontec radios.

If you still need an extender, I'd try the NETGEAR EX6200. It will give you the best bandwidth and automatically choose the best backhaul connection.

Wow! Thank you all for the advice! We have phone, cable and internet through Verizon. Don't know what MOCA means.
As for "shutting off the radio" on the Ameritec I guess that is something I can look up how to do. Are there any suggestions of someone in the NYC area I can pay to help do all of this correctly as if I screw it up I will have 3 very upset members of my family!!!

Thank you all again for the great and fast responses!!

Wow! Thank you all for the advice! We have phone, cable and internet through Verizon. Don't know what MOCA means.
As for "shutting off the radio" on the Ameritec I guess that is something I can look up how to do. Are there any suggestions of someone in the NYC area I can pay to help do all of this correctly as if I screw it up I will have 3 very upset members of my family!!!

Thank you all again for the great and fast responses!!

MOCA is Ethernet over coaxial cable. I have used the previous generation MOCA device made by Actiontec and sold by Verizon and they were plug and play and worked without any problems. The newer generation with WiFi are supposed to be just as simple.

Just installing a splitter, connecting a jumper coaxial cable they furnish and plugging it into AC for power. The Actiontec router you already have is already transmitting using the MOCA to deliver information to your set top cable boxes. Go to the Verizon web page and look at the information regarding the MOCA device I suggested.

The last time I checked the device I was recommending was selling for $89 which is less than another router.

3 options:

1: If you want things to "just work", might as well as get an upgrade go for the Verizon branded AC router
http://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/router.html

2: Adding a wireless access point or router as an access point just for the increased performance over WiFi.
This involves turning off the WiFi functions of the verizon unit and turning off the DHCP functions of the newly purchased unit.

3: Total replacement, read about it here (option 9) http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077
This involves a few devices and usually a call to verizon to disable the Coax internet line and activate the Ethernet jack.
You then need a MOCA converter and a router.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!