What's new

Help with slow/unstable network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mifitso

New Around Here
Hello,
I am having trouble with my home network. My three roommates and I use it mainly for just browsing with the occasional torrent, nothing special. My ISP is comcast (pacific northwest). I recently got a new router (rosewill RNX-N300RT) and installed dd-wrt firmware on it; in hindsight this was not the best idea due to my lack of knowledge. Anyways, computers can connect to the wireless network fine and they get an ip address, but its seems like we can never consistently resolve a host. The connection is just slow and unstable in general and its almost more aggravating than having a completely broken network. I have tried hard coding a DNS server to my adapter but that didnt seem to help.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks for your time,
-Andrew

Hello,
I am having trouble with my home network. My three roommates and I use it mainly for just browsing with the occasional torrent, nothing special. My ISP is comcast (pacific northwest). I recently got a new router (rosewill RNX-N300RT) and installed dd-wrt firmware on it; in hindsight this was not the best idea due to my lack of knowledge. Anyways, computers can connect to the wireless network fine and they get an ip address, but its seems like we can never consistently resolve a host. The connection is just slow and unstable in general and its almost more aggravating than having a completely broken network. I have tried hard coding a DNS server to my adapter but that didnt seem to help.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks for your time,
-Andrew

Try the universal troubleshooting steps below. Just substitute "rosewill" for the word "asus".

If you already have the firmware you want, then start with step 2.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!