What's new

Hey all, new to SNB. looking for Ultra low latency tweaks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phox

New Around Here
So I have a AX86U running Merlin and saw a post regarding runner and flow cache helping with packet processing latency. Are there any other SSH specific settings not available in GUI that i can turn on or off or tweak to achieve a extremely low packet processing latency within my network on my router. I run an intel server NIC on my PC so if there is any optimizing left its the router with packet processing time. I play competitive online games where every micro second counts. So if anyone has some cool commands i can mess with to achieve this your knowledge would be so appreciated.

So I have a AX86U running Merlin and saw a post regarding runner and flow cache helping with packet processing latency. Are there any other SSH specific settings not available in GUI that i can turn on or off or tweak to achieve a extremely low packet processing latency within my network on my router. I run an intel server NIC on my PC so if there is any optimizing left its the router with packet processing time. I play competitive online games where every micro second counts. So if anyone has some cool commands i can mess with to achieve this your knowledge would be so appreciated.
Or i mean those processes or services (runner and FC) can cause longer packet processing due to intelligent build up and release for efficiency, for bandwidth purposes..

Runner and Flow Cache are Broadcom NAT acceleration, both enabled by default, closed source, nothing to optimize there. For online gaming with less latency you need fiber ISP, fast server you connect to and a wired PC or game console. On the router side go as light as possible without any Trend Micro bloatware components and make sure other network users don't use too much bandwidth at the time you play.

Outside of the typical Asus stuff -

I've been tinkering with QCA and MediaTek platforms as most know...

QCA is fairly predictable - the IPQ60xx Wifi6 devices run well...

MediaTek is more interesting, as they're doing a lot of good work on WiFi6 and LAN/WAN perf offloads that are accessible for FOSS distro's like OpenWRT

QCA and MediaTek SDK's are based on OpenWRT, so porting changes one way or another is pretty straightforward...

Runner and Flow Cache are Broadcom NAT acceleration, both enabled by default, closed source, nothing to optimize there. For online gaming with less latency you need fiber ISP, fast server you connect to and a wired PC or game console. On the router side go as light as possible without any Trend Micro bloatware components and make sure other network users don't use too much bandwidth at the time you play.
Figures, I live in a semi rural area and still have cable copper lines as the counties main residential options, although the backend is supposed to be fiber which i would assume and hope so at this point! (spectrum). I guess I was just curious if anyone was aware of any other features tweak-able via command line for the lowest udp transfer possible as far as packet processing. I'm some what new to all this had Merlin awhile use AMTM, but everything i found via GPT doesn't seem to correspond to known commands or recognizable commands for this routers kernel or os.

Outside of the typical Asus stuff -

I've been tinkering with QCA and MediaTek platforms as most know...

QCA is fairly predictable - the IPQ60xx Wifi6 devices run well...

MediaTek is more interesting, as they're doing a lot of good work on WiFi6 and LAN/WAN perf offloads that are accessible for FOSS distro's like OpenWRT

QCA and MediaTek SDK's are based on OpenWRT, so porting changes one way or another is pretty straightforward...
HHow do you install this stuff? Is it its own firmware? or something you add via directing the router via ?directory

I see to enable QOS you have to have trendmicro services enabled? or something like that on the ax86u. Is there a way to have Qos without all the unnecessary stuff? sorry if thats an annoying question.. What specifically are you referencing if you don't mind me asking?

Experiment with or without available QoS options. If you have latency upstream (ISP, game server) - can't fix it on your end.

Some of the Asus routers "very allegedly" have a prioritised network port for allegedly low latency gaming. There's no setting needed, and without a bit of digging it can be hard to figure out if it's supposed to be LAN1 or LAN4. And I have to say, while I was on a VDSL2 connection, I never really noticed any difference, and if there was any we're probably talking nanoseconds, so not even milliseconds!
I'd follow the advice you've already been giving of keeping a simple and straightforward set up, turn off any applets such as the TrendMicro stuff.
*As someone who started my online gaming in the era of the 56k modem - though I was on line using 300/300bps and 1200/75bps dial up modems before then! And at least if the network is not too overloaded, playing over XBox Cloud on my phone even on the trains (UK).

Some of the Asus routers "very allegedly" have a prioritised network port for allegedly low latency gaming. There's no setting needed, and without a bit of digging it can be hard to figure out if it's supposed to be LAN1 or LAN4. And I have to say, while I was on a VDSL2 connection, I never really noticed any difference, and if there was any we're probably talking nanoseconds, so not even milliseconds!
I'd follow the advice you've already been giving of keeping a simple and straightforward set up, turn off any applets such as the TrendMicro stuff.
*As someone who started my online gaming in the era of the 56k modem - though I was on line using 300/300bps and 1200/75bps dial up modems before then! And at least if the network is not too overloaded, playing over XBox Cloud on my phone even on the trains (UK).
Yeah, I seem to get the short end of the stick connection wise and it's frustrating. So I was looking for any solutions. What's all the UDP raw stuff? I'm such a noob with a lot of this. But trying to learn so that full for forums like this so appreciate it guys. Is there other add-ons for additional UDP support structures? IDK prolly need fiber like others have said. Sadly. It's not available. Oh how do I disable the trend micro stuff? I guess I'll look around on here but if anyone can let me know I appreciate that as well.

Oh how do I disable the trend micro stuff?

Administration, Policy (or Privacy) - withdraw Trend Micro data sharing agreement, reboot the router. For QoS option in Asuswrt-Merlin you can try CakeQoS. It doesn't need Trend Micro engine and in general works well on slower ISP connections.

Administration, Policy (or Privacy) - withdraw Trend Micro data sharing agreement, reboot the router. For QoS option in Asuswrt-Merlin you can try CakeQoS. It doesn't need Trend Micro engine and in general works well on slower ISP connections.
So I can't use adaptive Qos with trend micro off? There's no way around it? Via ssh commands? Dang I really like adaptive. Cake is much slower for bandwidth, but I am picking up what your laying down.

In general improving upstream latency on your side is impossible no matter what you do or like. Your cable ISP perhaps has about 10ms to start. Keep in mind users find Adaptive QoS broken from time to time and your efforts to make things better may have opposite result. Forget about GPT, won't help.

In general improving upstream latency on your side is impossible no matter what you do or like. Keep in mind users find Adaptive QoS broken from time to time and your efforts to make things better may have opposite result. Forget about GPT, won't help either.
That actually resonates with me. I do have a weird problem with it enabled with latency so Thank you. Maybe traditional is the way. I'll experiment with it. Thank you 🕊️🕊️

You may find Traditional QoS also broken, experiment. It's also NAT acceleration incompatible just like CakeQoS and will limit your WAN-LAN throughput to whatever the CPU can process, about 300-350Mbps in your case. Welcome to Asuswrt user experience. Many options with many bugs.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!