What's new

Home Automation question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdihome

New Around Here
My problem. I want to automate the light in the "toilet room" in my master bathroom. Most of the day, the ambient light is good to illustrate the area. At night, there is a night light that is bright enough - so you can see. The issue is dusk and dawn. Ambient light and the night light is not bright enough to see in this room. I installed a PIR smart light switch (Kasa Smart WiFi Motion Sensor Switch #KS200M) thinking I could program it to only turn on the light, in the room, at dusk and at dawn only. It is very adjustable, but I can't figure out how to get it to do what I want or if it's capable of doing what I want? I want the light to come on when you enter the room only during dusk and dawn. Help please!

In theory you need motion sensor plus smart switch with dusk/dawn schedule connected in series. The light will come on only in dusk/dawn hours and when motion sensor is triggered. I don't know if IoT device like this exists. I personally have light switches with tiny LED dots showing where they are and using my hands to turn the lights on/off.

Welcome to the forums @sdihome.

Either find another product that does what you need specifically, or, just use a physical switch to turn the light on as needed during those dusk/dawn hours. I'm sure you've spent more time trying to solve this than any benefit received.

Bit weird because using a Tapo light sensor and Tapo bulbs you can set up two routines, one to be active Sunset-X to Sunset+X and another Sunrise-X to Sunrise+X. If you use the colour-changing bulbs you can even have the luminosity (bluntly) auto-set based on the time of day.