What's new

Home Network Ethernet Wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tmhanser

New Around Here
Need some home network advice here, please.

I have AT&T Fiber in my house, using a centrally located gateway (BGW210) providing WIFI. Even centrally located, the WIFI is weak at the corners of the house. My new Mac Mini M2 Pro suffers on the Internet, so let’s try using an ethernet cable.

The house is wired for ethernet, and I have a network closet in the master bedroom walk-in closet. Ultimately, I want my computers and TVs on ethernet, not relying on WIFI.

I had an AT&T service tech come out to the house ($149.00 house call), but he discouraged me from relocating the gateway into the network closet, as it would lower the WIFI signal to the main TV. (That was a wasted effort.)

I can’t imagine running lengths of CAT5 cable down the hall to each room from the gateway - that wouldn’t work at all. The house is already wired for ethernet.

So, what’s my option? How do I move the AT&T gateway into the closet, wire up the house for ethernet using the four ports on the back of the gateway, but still have a decent WIFI signal in the house?

Am I obligated to use the AT&T gateway device? Can I add another WIFI transmitter in the house, somewhere, connected to the house ethernet?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Put an Ethernet switch in the wiring closet, connect your router to an Ethernet cable to the switch and branch out from the switch to the rest of the house.

Put an Ethernet switch in the wiring closet, connect your router to an Ethernet cable to the switch and branch out from the switch to the rest of the house.
Great answer, and quick.

How about this one?

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) - Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet Splitter, Plug-and-Play, Silent Operation, Desktop or Wall Mount​

(Why do you suppose the AT&T tech didn't suggest this in the first place?)

Great answer, and quick.

How about this one?

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) - Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet Splitter, Plug-and-Play, Silent Operation, Desktop or Wall Mount​

(Why do you suppose the AT&T tech didn't suggest this in the first place?)
If you only have 8 Ethernet connections in the closet it will be fine. But, more ports on the switch may be better to future proof it. An unmanaged switch is good for starters. Netgear is good. I have a Netgear managed PoE switch for my security cameras.

If you only have 8 Ethernet connections in the closet it will be fine. But, more ports on the switch may be better to future proof it. An unmanaged switch is good for starters. Netgear is good. I have a Netgear managed PoE switch for my security cameras.
Thank you, bbunge.

I just ordered it, should arrive tomorrow. I'll put the incoming yellow DEMARC plug into the switch, but apparently, I need to get from the switch to the junction box mounted at the back of the network closet.

How do I do that? See attached photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 33
And now you have 2 problems to solve:

- the tech is correct - relocating the gateway in the closet will further reduce your Wi-Fi coverage
- you need to make cables with RG45 connectors for your switch - knowledge plus tools needed

You are facing more expenses (additional APs, otherwise mobile devices will suffer) and the switch you have purchased (no PoE, needed for the APs) is perhaps wrong choice. The tech who installed the gateway connected the ONT cable to the location of the gateway. There is a single Ethernet cable to this location and you have to move the gateway to the closet where the switch is going to be. The gateway will have not only obstructed Wi-Fi, but may also overheat in a confined space with no sufficient air flow. Why don't you give this project to someone who know what are they doing?

And now you have 2 problems to solve:

- the tech is correct - relocating the gateway in the closet will further reduce your Wi-Fi coverage
- you need to make cables with RG45 connectors for your switch - knowledge plus tools needed

You are facing more expenses (additional APs, otherwise mobile devices will suffer) and the switch you have purchased (no PoE, needed for the APs) is perhaps wrong choice. The tech who installed the gateway connected the ONT cable to the location of the gateway. There is a single Ethernet cable to this location and you have to move the gateway to the closet where the switch is going to be. The gateway will have not only obstructed Wi-Fi, but may also overheat in a confined space with no sufficient air flow. Why don't you give this project to someone who know what are they doing?
I agree, this is over my head.

I just purchased a crimping tool and some ethernet plugs that arrive with the switch tomorrow from Amazon. But I may have to send them back and hire someone. I'm in Reno, NV, trying to find someone who can do home networking.

>The tech who installed the gateway connected the ONT cable to the location of the gateway.

Correct, and the gateway is "centrally located" but due to the stucco construction and the layout of the house, the WIFI would have to pass through two outside walls. As you may already know, stucco is attached to a chicken wire, which can't be good for WIFI reception.

The house is wired with CAT5 ethernet cable and there is a jack in every room, for every computer and TV.

I don't want to beat this to death, but how the heck do you get AT&T fiber into the home ethernet system? Does the AT&T gateway have to go before EVERYTHING?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

You have an ONT somewhere, perhaps in the basement. This is where the yellow wire is coming from. The gateway is a AIO router with Wi-Fi. The tech connected the ONT wire to the blue wire going to this "central location" and he did the right thing. This is what can be done for free with the ISP equipment provided. The tech did best effort to make it better for you. From this point you have to decide what do you want. Improvement won't be for free and the switch you have purchased solves one problem, but creates another.

If you find a proper tech to do it for you - I personally would go for Ubiquiti U6 In-Wall APs. They have built-in switch for local wired devices. A few around the house with Cloud Gateway Ultra in the closet with Lite 8 PoE switch. A fan in the closet to move some air, eventually. Complete Ubiquiti UniFi system, total cost around $600*, set and forget. Can be done with Omada hardware for less. Wi-Fi around the house and Ethernet ports as you wish. If you are paying rent for this ISP gateway - not needed anymore, can save some bucks monthly.

* - the installation cost on top, obviously.

Last edited:
You can go cheap with the APs, some consumer Deco for example. It depends on the budget and requirements. I have installed 2x Deco M4 sets for $100 (2-pack) in houses where owners have no idea about tech. M4 is Wi-Fi 5 "mesh" set, does 500Mbps over Wi-Fi when wired. Single SSID, no much settings, easy App control, no extra Ethernet ports, some hanging off the walls adapters, definitely not the latest and greatest, but... $100. People are happy.

You have an ONT somewhere, perhaps in the basement. This is where the yellow wire is coming from. The gateway is a AIO router with Wi-Fi. The tech connected the ONT wire to the blue wire going to this "central location" and he did the right thing. This is what can be done for free with the ISP equipment provided. The tech did best effort to make it better for you. From this point you have to decide what do you want. Improvement won't be for free and the switch you have purchased solves one problem, but creates another.

If you find a proper tech to do it for you - I personally would go for Ubiquiti U6 In-Wall APs. They have built-in switch for local wired devices. A few around the house with Cloud Gateway Ultra in the closet with Lite 8 PoE switch. A fan in the closet to move some air, eventually. Complete Ubiquiti UniFi system, total cost around $600*, set and forget. Can be done with Omada hardware for less. Wi-Fi around the house and Ethernet ports as you wish. If you are paying rent for this ISP gateway - not needed anymore, can save some bucks monthly.

* - the installation cost on top, obviously.
Thanks, Tech9.

I'll find a local networking tech here in Reno and see what they come up with.

Thanks again.

Tell them what you want to have, listen to what they are going to say. Many companies have preferred supplier and equipment. As long as the offer matches your budget, the result matches your expectations and they provide warranty for the equipment installed - all good.