What's new

Honest review of Asus WRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6 Branch)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you certain about that? According to techinfodepot, GT-AX6000 uses IPQ8074:

On the same page:

1717549819346.png

There was one single released GT-AX6000 in 2022 with Broadcom hardware.

I'm sorry if I don't understand this correctly but what do you mean by saying superior RF? What component part is different?

I'm also leaning slightly more towards 88U Pro but if the GT has better RF, I'm not sure.

In direct comparisons, the GT-AX6000 is the superior wireless router.

Parts don't make a router, or any other tech, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Buy on spec's if you just want a check ☑ box item. I buy and recommend models based on actual usage. The differences are not small.

But, like I said before, the RF advantages are slight. Certainly not worth short changing your new purchase and possibly taking a hit on the long term support.

Did you see the video that I linked for you? Others (that don't actually use Asus routers) say the same thing for the RT-AX86U Pro (i.e. The spec's are effectively the same, therefore, they will perform the same). They don't. The whole is more than just the sum of the parts. And believing otherwise will always cost you (either in buying something twice, or, having worse performance for the same/similar cost.

In direct comparisons, the GT-AX6000 is the superior wireless router.

Parts don't make a router, or any other tech, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Buy on spec's if you just want a check ☑ box item. I buy and recommend models based on actual usage. The differences are not small.

But, like I said before, the RF advantages are slight. Certainly not worth short changing your new purchase and possibly taking a hit on the long term support.

Did you see the video that I linked for you? Others (that don't actually use Asus routers) say the same thing for the RT-AX86U Pro (i.e. The spec's are effectively the same, therefore, they will perform the same). They don't. The whole is more than just the sum of the parts. And believing otherwise will always cost you (either in buying something twice, or, having worse performance for the same/similar cost.
Thank you for your answers.
So the newer device which is priced same or higher, with same parameters has worse performance.

I'm just curious what makes the RF advantages. Is it some internal design, antennas, FIRMWARE or something else?

Last edited:
Design, execution, and how strictly manufacturing and assumptions of all the RF design decisions, firmware optimizations, and many other factors are religiously followed and executed.

Worse performance are your words. These are the pinnacle of wireless routers today (well until I get a chance to test some WiFi 7-class equipment, of course).

Different, describes them better. And with a 3-year-old+ design (GT-AX6000), betting on effectively equivalent performance is shooting yourself in the foot (or, at least not reading the room correctly).

The 'something else' you're looking for is what I've already stated. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. There isn't one thing that makes them exceptional, but together, they sing.

Design, execution, and how strictly manufacturing and assumptions of all the RF design decisions, firmware optimizations, and many other factors are religiously followed and executed.

Worse performance are your words. These are the pinnacle of wireless routers today (well until I get a chance to test some WiFi 7-class equipment, of course).

Different, describes them better. And with a 3-year-old+ design (GT-AX6000), betting on effectively equivalent performance is shooting yourself in the foot (or, at least not reading the room correctly).

The 'something else' you're looking for is what I've already stated. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. There isn't one thing that makes them exceptional, but together, they sing.
Thank you for your answers! It makes sense.

I'm curious if Asus gonna update the 88U Pro firmware to the point where wifi performance is on pair with GT, or ever better.

What do you think guys?

I'm curious if Asus gonna update the 88U Pro firmware to the point where wifi performance is on pair with GT, or ever better.

What do you think guys?
Even if they could and did, I doubt that the difference would be noticeable to the lay person. Or to the avid gamer. Or to most IT professionals (@Tech9 excluded).
I talked to an installer from my ISP today about going to gig fiber. He said to keep my current plan, 100/100, as it is the best cost value for performance.
As for the new Asus firmware, it is doing what it was designed to do. I have no issues or complaints!

I don't know what's the performance talk going on for so long. In real life it's limited by the clients or environment. No one can reach theoretical maximums and for the users it simply doesn't matter. I personally don't test my LAN daily nor my WAN. I also don't measure mains voltage nor water pressure. There are more interesting things to do in life. Internet is just one of the utilities we use and it works. What's there to worry so much about a home AIO router worth 2 days of selling burgers at McDonalds anyway? It is what it is, choose the shape you like better, bring it home and plug it in.

What do you think guys?

The firmware isn't the (only) determining factor, there are things set in stone that won't change this ever.

But, I'm assuming that because the RT-AX88U Pro will be supported longer, there will come a time when the GT will simply be obsolete and a non-competitor, even if it's WiFi is slightly better. As a main router for a network where security matters.

My ASUSWRT 5.0 AiMesh is now in service and I am very satisfied... where I wanted to go when I began with AiMesh in 2018 (a very bumpy ride that has required an inordinate amount of admin commitment to this path forward to what I believe I want for my home network). Thanks, ASUS!

@L&LD is right, the RT-AX88U is a nice bump up from the RT-AX86U Pro:
o bigger/better cooling (CPU ~72C)
o LEDs I can leave ON (still too bright but not in our eyes)
o delivers 2.4 20-40Mbps at ~400' (86U Pro was troubled 1-2Mbps)
o detects CST zone with no Internet connection (old news)
o detects "Cloudflare" with no Internet connection when using 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 for DNS (perhaps the firmware should make Cloudflare DNS a selection)
o seems to correctly detect wired and wireless client connections to node first time and always, a first! My Wyze cam v3, 40' beyond my node, immediately switched its connection from router (117') to node (40') when the node booted... this has never happened before, I always had to reboot the cam to get it back to the node after admin
o 2.4 noise dropped a few dB from AX86U Pro
o signals and roaming seem great so far

Your mileage may vary! :)

@L&LD : How do you orient the antennas on the AX88U Pro... \ | | / ?

Now that the hardware is working, I can get back to exploring the use of VLANs to secure my node LAN ports... they are more exposed.

OE

Last edited:
I don't know what's the performance talk going on for so long. In real life it's limited by the clients or environment. No one can reach theoretical maximums and for the users it simply doesn't matter. I personally don't test my LAN daily nor my WAN. I also don't measure mains voltage nor water pressure. There are more interesting things to do in life. Internet is just one of the utilities we use and it works. What's there to worry so much about a home AIO router worth 2 days of selling burgers at McDonalds anyway? It is what it is, choose the shape you like better, bring it home and plug it in.
Simple answer: I just want more bang for my buck.

First, I was decided to get the 88U Pro as the specs was same and it is newer device, but since I saw the comparison tests I wasn't sure and wanted to know how things work as the older device with same internals doing better in comparison graphs.

Anyways, thank you guys for your answers and explanations ;)

@OzarkEdge, 99% of the time, the antennae are all straight up. Even when moved from that position, all four are aligned to each other.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!