What's new

Hotel Internet slow, very slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
At hotel in NH, Hilton Homewood Suites. Internet was fine till yesterday and it slowed way down. I have aAX210 wifi adapter, Sager laptop.
Any help in fixing this slowdown. I think someone is streaming heavily, or it may be the personal wifi being genrated close by. Best speed is 1.5 Mbps
thumbnail (6).jpeg

My data
SSID: Hilton Honors
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: Open
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version: 22.200.2.1
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 149
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 400/400 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::379:d1af:96da:f174%12
IPv4 address: 172.20.6.188
IPv4 DNS servers: 172.20.1.0 (Unencrypted)
Physical address (MAC):

At hotel in NH, Hilton Homewood Suites. Internet was fine till yesterday and it slowed way down. I have aAX210 wifi adapter, Sager laptop.
Any help in fixing this slowdown. I think someone is streaming heavily, or it may be the personal wifi being genrated close by. Best speed is 1.5 Mbps
View attachment 58398
My data
SSID: Hilton Honors
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: Open
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version: 22.200.2.1
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 149
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 400/400 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::379:d1af:96da:f174%12
IPv4 address: 172.20.6.188
IPv4 DNS servers: 172.20.1.0 (Unencrypted)
Physical address (MAC):
Your chart is showing 2,4 Ghz channels. You might want to consider using a 2.4 channel but they aren't great. If this is the best you are getting for 2.4 Ghz likely the 5 Ghz is even worse.

Using a travel router sometimes can help. You can set it in a location where the best signal from the hotel is and then it will rebroadcast a stronger WiFi signal to the rest of your room. Look a GL-iNet makes great travel routers.

Your chart is showing 2,4 Ghz channels. You might want to consider using a 2.4 channel but they aren't great. If this is the best you are getting for 2.4 Ghz likely the 5 Ghz is even worse.

Using a travel router sometimes can help. You can set it in a location where the best signal from the hotel is and then it will rebroadcast a stronger WiFi signal to the rest of your room. Look a GL-iNet makes great travel routers.
Thnx, I will look into going straight 2.4ghz, and the GL-inet gear. Does it just buffer up a good amount of data then send it, or just boost up the level of the signal it receives. Can't exactly put it in the hallway, lol

Thnx, I will look into going straight 2.4ghz, and the GL-inet gear. Does it just buffer up a good amount of data then send it, or just boost up the level of the signal it receives. Can't exactly put it in the hallway, lol
No, a router can't "buffer up" data, in fact, nothing can do that, unless you don't want real time data.
The advantage of a travel router is that they tend to have better radios and antennas in them compared to most notebooks and mobile devices, so you get a better signal, but if the hotel internet connection is overcrowded, nothing you do will help.

The GL-Inet travel routers use the hotel's wiFi signal as its WAN's source for Internet. It then broadcasts the connection using your own WiFi SSIDs. You can also connect to the GL-Inet using an Ethernet cable.

Depending on the room's configuration you can put the GL-INET near the doorway to the hallway or on a balcony. If the Internet is terrible nothing can fix that, but I use my GL-Inet when I travel and have no trouble streaming Netflix, etc.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!