What's new

How do you install DD-WRT on R7000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

He already bailed out on trying, so no further advice is needed. Some just need to stick to the simple non technical stuff.

True, my posting was more directed towards the random reboot issue. The main cause of that has been the new wireless drivers, so people having that problem with dd-wrt should try to find a stable baseline release that they can go back to if needed.

I set up 24345M with the old wireless drivers (and a guest network) a few days before I went on vacation. The folks at my house have been using it for over 3 weeks now with no problems. That was my goal.

I very much appreciate the advice of everyone that has posted here.

For any router, I expect stock firmware to just work on the most basic level (like holding wifi signals for more than 24 hours at a time without random drops). I don't think thats too much to ask for. If that works then I would like to explore 3rd party firmware for additional features.

Anyway, I just received the wrt1900ac today. First impression is that this thing has a nice weight to it. It looks like it has a nicer build quality. For example, the antennas weigh more and don't seem as flimsy as the netgear. Stock GUI takes a few minutes to get used to but is cleaner than netgear. The downside is that there are fewer options and it is slightly confusing at first.

I will report back if/when the wifi signal drops.

So far, I had to do an reboot after starting it up because a few of my devices didn't connect on 2.4 GHz.

And sitting the same spot at the opposite side of my apartment, I am able to get a stable signal. This is the other reason I made the switch.

I've run into a problem. The 2.4 Ghz wifi signal on the wrt1900ac is strong. But at -23dbm, videos load very slowly. Even google play store loads slowly. App downloads are slow. How is this possible?

Edit: This seems to be a firmware or hardware issue. I spent an hour with CSR and they said its a known issue. I ran speedtests on my connections. The 5.0 Ghz connection using the wrt1900ac was giving me 29 MBps and the nighthawk was giving me my full 50 down. So it looks like I got a dud or the linksys isn't ready for prime time.

Edit 2: I'm back on the nighthawk (latest stock firmware) that drops 2.4 Ghz connections like nobody's business. I'm waiting on a call back from CSR on the wrt1900ac.

Last edited:
I've run into a problem. The 2.4 Ghz wifi signal on the wrt1900ac is strong. But at -23dbm, videos load very slowly. Even google play store loads slowly. App downloads are slow. How is this possible?

Edit: This seems to be a firmware or hardware issue. I spent an hour with CSR and they said its a known issue. I ran speedtests on my connections. The 5.0 Ghz connection using the wrt1900ac was giving me 29 MBps and the nighthawk was giving me my full 50 down. So it looks like I got a dud or the linksys isn't ready for prime time.

You just got a dud. I get all of my 100 Mbps speed and 450 Mbps max Lan speed on my WRT1900AC using a laptop with built-in internal 802.11ac network adapter.

2.4 GHz turned off since my WNR3500L is designated for that. The test is onn 5 GHz, Mixed Mode, Auto channel width, channel 153.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3690240952
Untitled.jpg

It does seem odd that you have had similar issue with an r7000 stock.and dd-wrt firmware, and now a brand new WRT1900. I wonder what the common thread is?

I wonder if seitys have a knack for getting a dud router. Maybe he has an unusual RF environment where radio wave interference are destructing 2.4 and 5 GHz. Using 2.4 GHz band in an apartment complex is an abomination, and Cordless 5 GHz phones and Satellite radios that operate on upper 5 Ghz band can easily drop speeds or cut the connection.

R7000 with stock and dd-wrt firmware and now a brand new WRT1900 all with problems. I wonder what the common thread is? Doubt the dud routers theory. Time to find the source and get beyond router jumping. Wireless routers are not always plug and play like an Xbox.

Last edited:
I wonder if seitys have a knack for getting a dud router. Maybe he has an unusual RF environment where radio wave interference are destructing 2.4 and 5 GHz. Using 2.4 GHz band in an apartment complex is an abomination, and Cordless 5 GHz phones and Satellite radios that operate on upper 5 Ghz band can easily drop speeds or cut the connection.

There are over a dozen 2.4Ghz signals that are strong enough to connect to but only 1 weak (-89dbm) 5Ghz signal which probably explains the reason I don't have much trouble with 5Ghz. The WRT1900ac had better range on 5Ghz. I was able to stream video in all rooms, unlike the R7000.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!