What's new

how does dual band connection work ..2x 802.11 colleges clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keratos

So on my 802.11ac dual CHANNEL 876mbps router
If I have 2 laptop clients with dual channel connecting to the router....
Does each one get two channels or just one
If just one... Then what happens when if I introduce a third laptop ?? How does that connect, ?

First; What router?

Second; Dual Band does not equal dual channel (no such thing as dual channel router).

How a router works is like a very old Ethernet Hub in that only two devices can talk to each other at any given moment in time.

When multiple clients are connected, they have to take turns talking to the destinations they're requesting.

With more and more clients added, the responsiveness of the network eventually comes to a crawl because they're using the bandwidth of a single channel.

While all the above is happening, each device is connected to the same channel (one master channel for each band: 2.4GHz or 5GHz) for the duration of the session (until the connection is terminated by the client).

With both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Bands: each can be bonded to 2 Channels which is technically called the channel bandwidth of the connection (20MHz being the basic channel width). With 5GHz AC connections, we can achieve 20MHz, 40MHz and 80MHz channel widths at shorter distances.

Soon with AC3200 class routers we will have 160MHz channel bandwidth (up to 4 channels used simultaneously for each client) in addition to MU-MIMO which will finally get WiFi past the 'wireless Ethernet Hub' limitations that plague all routers up to today.

At least for the download side of the equation (from the router to the clients); these new routers will be able to service up to 4 clients at once with 4 antenna and the spec's call for up to 8 antenna designs (so, 8 clients all downloading at the same instant - which is not what is happening now). We can expect this sometime in 2015 for 8 antenna designs, but the Asus AC2300 4 antenna MU-MIMO router should be available sometime around June of this year.

To summarize; a router can use multiple channels today. This is the channel bandwidth. But these are used simultaneously for each client that supports it (i.e. each client cannot have a channel to itself).

The real jump in throughput for many (> than 10) clients on a single network is coming soon. Asus AC2300 class routers with Quantenna chipsets will be blazing the way forward (we all hope, of course).

The icing on the cake will be RMerlin's support for the new standards. :)

So the simple answer to the simple question is....,!?
t

Last edited:
For channels.., read streams , if that makes it easier

So the simple answer to the simple question is....,!?
t

A person with two legs needs a pair of shoes and a head only needs one hat. Yet they work together just fine.

Simple enough??

Last edited:
So on my 802.11ac dual CHANNEL 876mbps router
If I have 2 laptop clients with dual channel connecting to the router....
Does each one get two channels or just one
If just one... Then what happens when if I introduce a third laptop ?? How does that connect, ?

Complicated technology. Google will help find wireless 101 and 105.
In all wifi, clients time share the use of spectrum.

too complicated for any one to explain.
Jeeeez

What IS the point of pointing me to Google. Why join a forum to post "Google is your friend". I mean, what is the point if you being a member if that's the best you can do

I have my answer ,but not from here !

Last edited:
You have a simultaneous dual BAND router. A band is a set of frequencies, in this case around 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

In each band, the router connects to client devices on one channel. All devices SHARE the channel. Sometime two or four channels are grouped together. But they together act as ONE channel.

So when you connect more devices, the router wireless bandwidth gets divided among the devices.

You have a simultaneous dual BAND router. A band is a set of frequencies, in this case around 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

In each band, the router connects to client devices on one channel. All devices SHARE the channel. Sometime two or four channels are grouped together. But they together act as ONE channel.

So when you connect more devices, the router wireless bandwidth gets divided among the devices.

THANK YOU Sir
At last, perfect, concise, insightful and value-added post demonstrating how to use (and respond in) the forums.

You got at least one good and detailed explination that wasn't particularly over technical that appeared you didn't bother to read. L&LD had a nice summary near the end of his post, that was pretty simple.

I think that is why you got pointed to google. If the more complicated answer didn't soak in and the simple answer near the end didn't...

Bandwidth gets shared between devices. They each get their own talk time and the more devices, the less each one gets to talk to the router. If you have 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices/router, then you can split them so some talk on 2.4GHz and some talk on 5GHz. Talking on different bands/frequencies will not share talk time, except with other devices speaking in the same frequency.