What's new

How much is enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 28741

How much "power" = Range + Speed + Throughput is enough?

Might sound like a daft question … but let me explain a bit more.

My "economy" single channel, 2.4ghz TP Link 300N router delivers a strong enough signal to the two apple TV boxes and the various phones & ipads in the house… with signal range -30db to -45db. The signal even penetrates into the kitchen through 3 steel bar reinforced concrete walls and is enough for "surfing".

There are other networks around the house but their signals are in the -65 to -95… Plus they are on different channels (6 and 11 mostly) to me … I am on Channel 2 (for some reason this gives better results than channel 1 - though I understand the overlap reasoning and that channel 1 should be better).

I can stream Netflix and "Airplay" internet video from an IPad or iPhone to the Apple TV with no problems….

So do I really need "more power" ? Do I need to get a dual band AC1750 or AC1900 router or will this be overkill?

Or should I just be happy that I can get away with a $30 router?

If your current hardware satisfies your needs (not wants), then anything above that is overkill by definition.

It is only when you have bought or used a superior solution that you might see your current setup is not 'up there' anymore.

Until that time though (or until massive hardware failure strikes), don't change, upgrade, tweak or spend an extra dime on a working system, unless you live for stress. :)

Or, can consider the time and money spent on the endeavor as a 'learning experience'.

Hi,
My motto in life is "do more with less", LOL! When and if I can't squeeze out any more out of what I have(be it router, automobile, whatever you have) then time for some thing new to fill my needs. We're too wasteful in many ways. I am avid DIY'er, handyman.

No , you will not get any more from new router . If yur router streams video without drops and such you'll gain nothing but possible headaches .

Sounds like you have "enough" - if it meets your needs, it's all good... anything more, well... it's just money right?

There's some great value right now in the Single Band 802.11n space as OEM's rotate their product lines.

sfx

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!