What's new

How to access HDD on 86U via ftp?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nathan Groves

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I have an RT ac86u that I access to through both my pc and mobile phone. While connecting to the attached HDD via my pc I am abble to get transfer speeds of @100MBs both read and write.
The newer galaxy phones have however been plagued with terrible SMB speeds and because of that I never get anything over 9MBs when trying to copy files either to or from the attached storage.
Does anyone here know how I would find the details necessary to connect to the HDD on my phone via http or any other protocol that would enable me to transfer my files at the same speed as the pc can?

Many thanks,

Nathan

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have an RT ac86u that I access to through both my pc and mobile phone. While connecting to the attached HDD via my pc I am abble to get transfer speeds of @100MBs both read and write.
The newer galaxy phones have however been plagued with terrible SMB speeds and because of that I never get anything over 9MBs when trying to copy files either to or from the attached storage.
Does anyone here know how I would find the details necessary to connect to the HDD on my phone via http or any other protocol that would enable me to transfer my files at the same speed as the pc can?

Many thanks,

Nathan
If you haven’t tested the http download speed of a file from a website using your Galaxy, I encourage you to do so prior to exploring router options.

Oh crap yeah, I'll only get my ISP that way won't I.
Is there any other known protocol of connecting to the router that will be governed not by either SMB or my ISP?

Regards,

Nathan

Oh crap yeah, I'll only get my ISP that way won't I.
Is there any other known protocol of connecting to the router that will be governed not by either SMB or my ISP?

Regards,

Nathan
Yes, I am aware that your ISP would influence the download speed. I was hoping that you would realize that you would also have to compare that result to a SMB file transfer from the internet. I didn't want to say it but I guess I will now, it is possible that certain manufacturers/models of mobile phones may not have a file transfer speed comparable to a PC regardless of the protocol. Why try to modify your router's current configuration when you don't even know if another file transfer protocol would be any faster on your mobile phone.

There are many variables within each protocol that could impact the speed of a file transfer. Unfortunately, most of those variables are not modifiable using the graphical user interface (GUI) of routers and phones. The manufacturers will hard code those variables to what would be, in their minds at least, the most efficient for their product. In the case of mobile phones, the prime goal is to conserve battery life.

Hi again,
In the past I've used my phone at a friend's house and he has a 350Mb connection if which I could max out at 35MBs whilst downloading from an http source, ie mega.
So the phone definitely is capable of more than the 9MB that I'm getting with the SMB.

Having used a benchmark tool I also know that the phone has approximately 90MBs read and write capabilities.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi again,
In the past I've used my phone at a friend's house and he has a 350Mb connection if which I could max out at 35MBs whilst downloading from an http source, ie mega.
So the phone definitely is capable of more than the 9MB that I'm getting with the SMB.

Having used a benchmark tool I also know that the phone has approximately 90MBs read and write capabilities.

Regards,

Nathan
Realize that I have no way of testing this but from what I am reading the easiest solution would be to setup the ASUS as a FTP server and use a browser to connect to port 20 of the ASUS IP address. However, this is very browser dependent. You may be better off enabling FTP on the ASUS and obtain a FTP client on your wireless phones. In either case, the only way to know file transfer speed is to try it.

I realize that I haven't been much help. Hopefully, someone else can do a better job.

Any and all replies are helpful to some extent and the fact that you've tried speaks millions :)

Setting the router up like this and then using ESfile Explorer is the kind of thing that I was hoping to do. Like you, I'm not geared towards this in-depth kind of setup, but I really appreciate you taking your time.

I'll wait and see if anyone else has any ideas before trying the Merlin group as I'm currently on the stock firmware, but I'm happy to switch over if needed.

Thanks a bunch mate,

Nathan

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!