What's new

How to add more 5ghz channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Is there a way to add more channels, other than 36,40 and 40 to the 5ghz band?

I'm based in the UK and the region config forces these channels that all fall within the wii u pad range.

I've got around it by turning off the 5ghz for now, but I want to use the 5ghz on a couple of my machines.

The reason I want to change them is because the wii U gamepad uses this range (5150-5250 Mhz) so therefore if I use the 5ghz band on the pc, it interferes with the wii U gamepad.

Would be good if I could use a channel from say, korea, singapore or Japans range so I don't get this interference.

I'm not really bothered if its technically illegal, as long as I wont interfere with someones pacemaker or something.... If I interrupt their soap watching so be it :)

All advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Is there a way to add more channels, other than 36,40 and 40 to the 5ghz band?

I'm based in the UK and the region config forces these channels that all fall within the wii u pad range.

I've got around it by turning off the 5ghz for now, but I want to use the 5ghz on a couple of my machines.

The reason I want to change them is because the wii U gamepad uses this range (5150-5250 Mhz) so therefore if I use the 5ghz band on the pc, it interferes with the wii U gamepad.

Would be good if I could use a channel from say, korea, singapore or Japans range so I don't get this interference.

I'm not really bothered if its technically illegal, as long as I wont interfere with someones pacemaker or something.... If I interrupt their soap watching so be it :)

All advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

IIRC regional settings are hardcoded into the Asus GPL at boot time. That being said every country has its own wireless regulations etc and the available channels really depends on where you live. Other then moving there isn't much you can do as I know Merlin has stated just days ago that this is normal behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

I was hoping there would be a command I could execute to bring more channels into play...

I have an rt-n66u btw

you can run the following by telnet or even the tools - run cmd page if you run merlins firmware

nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram commit

then reboot.

I was hoping there would be a command I could execute to bring more channels into play...

I have an rt-n66u btw

I'm sure a programmer could do it, but since it would be essentially breaking the law we would have to make a reality series of how BreakingDad got broke. :)

I'm sure a programmer could do it, but since it would be essentially breaking the law we would have to make a reality series of how BreakingDad got broke. :)

all he is going to do is change the config from EU to UK so in theory a solicitor would argue he is setting it to the correct region ;)

all he is going to do is change the config from EU to UK so in theory a solicitor would argue he is setting it to the correct region ;)

In theory the solicitor would also win too.

But only if he really was in the region that he was changing it to.

We don't have such a litigatious society over here. We tend to just drink tea all day and mind our own business :)

We don't have such a litigatious society over here. We tend to just drink tea all day and mind our own business :)
Haha, good one. As a Swiss I am not even sure we are part of Europe... The UK thinks the same. I am glad we both are not bothered by greedy litigators.

Ahh yes, I think you are much like us, but you eat more cheese with holes in it :)

you can run the following by telnet or even the tools - run cmd page if you run merlins firmware

nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram commit

then reboot.

This worked perfectly, as in I could see more channels.

However I selected channel 60, set it going, fine

But my pc couldnt pick it up, or in fact any others on the 5ghz while using this setup.

I figured maybe its something to do with the receiver, so i changed the country codes on it for the 5g band, still nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

But my pc couldnt pick it up, or in fact any others on the 5ghz while using this setup.

I figured maybe its something to do with the receiver, so i changed the country codes on it for the 5g band, still nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
check the logs to see what channels active, i find that I have to pick channel 108 on the ac68u and 136 on the a66u

you can mess with the country codes as I can't use the same code on both routers for some reason, well because asus only use a few unlike netgear.

ZE and SE may work or take a look here for more. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/wcs/3-2/configuration/guide/wcscfg32/wcscod.html

not all channels shown will work, some will force it to channel 36@20hz, some will shut off the radio and others work as expected.

Thanks will have another go later, when the mrs and kids go to sleep, so I don't get nagged, jumped on and various other unpleasantness mid way through.

IIRC regional settings are hardcoded into the Asus GPL at boot time. That being said every country has its own wireless regulations etc and the available channels really depends on where you live. Other then moving there isn't much you can do as I know Merlin has stated just days ago that this is normal behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
Well... I am in Europe, WLAN advertises itself as "regulation domain=EU", but channel selection is limited to 36...48, which is "sort of" contradicting with that big list on Wikipedia.

Might it be related to (possible) lack of DFS support on RT-N66U or am I missing something here?

I know that here in the US at least I can only set it to 36-48, 149-165. Did you try using one of the non-DFS channels?

tomato lets u use any channel on 5GHz but anything below like 149 or 151 has lower power, always use the highest channel you can.

Just as a reminder to our friends in the UK...

The TV vans are running around - make sure you have your license paid up :eek:

I tried every channel available while set to AU, GB and US so far, some of them showed as working on the wifi log, some showed as chan 36. I couldn't connect to any of them though. The only time I can connect to them is while using EU, and then I only get 3 channels, all of which clash with the wii U pad.
I will go through every single channel / combination if I have to until I find one that works.
Unfortunately it's a little time consuming and the teenagers get twitchy if our internet goes off :)

I was also wondering if changing the country code but not the regulation domain might work.

Last edited:
Just as a reminder to our friends in the UK...

The TV vans are running around - make sure you have your license paid up :eek:

I'll check if I have enough change from my free health care :)