What's new

How to block LAN access for a wired device on ASUS Merlin (Firmware 3004.388.8_2)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kuposcar

New Around Here
I have ASUS Merlin Firmware: 3004.388.8_2, and I have a device connected via Ethernet to a switch, and the switch is connected to the router. I want this device to have no access to the rest of my local network. Is this possible?
Thank you very much.

I have it working with some scripts on my router. Not sure if it would work on other router types:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax86u-pro-lan-port-on-guest-network.91966/post-928266

Rung

But doesn't that assume the secondary switch will be dedicated to that LAN port on the primary router? IOW, *any* device on the secondary switch ends up isolated from the private network. Not sure if that's what the OP is looking for. Not unless the OP is willing/able to plug the device into that LAN port on primary router directly.

But doesn't that assume the secondary switch will be dedicated to that LAN port on the primary router? IOW, *any* device on the secondary switch ends up isolated from the private network. Not sure if that's what the OP is looking for. Not unless the OP is willing/able to plug the device into that LAN port on primary router directly.
You are correct. Yes, everything on the switch would be isolated, but could still be useful for some but maybe not op.

Also, wouldn't a couple of managed switches work for that? I understand they are not expensive. Combine and uncombine two ports on the router: the isolated port and a regular port.

Also, wouldn't a couple of managed switches work for that? I understand they are not expensive. Combine and uncombine two ports on the router: the isolated port and a regular port.

Sure. Although if you go down the path of additional hardware, my first inclination would be to use an old router, esp. since I'm sure a lot of users have such hardware lying around doing nothing (consider all the ASUS AC routers soon to reach EOL). Even an old wireless G/N router will suffice in many instances, esp. for low bandwidth applications. That's the very point of having routers; to create isolation. You avoid messing w/ VLANs entirely.

Granted, it's not nearly as cool as VLANs, but esp. for the network challenged, it's probably easier to understand and manage (and cheaper).