What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After following the VPN issues on here and worrying that I may mess things up in ways beyond my understanding, I've finally taken the plunge and dirty flashed 3004.388.8_2 from 388.7 on my ax86u pro. Both the wireguard and openvpn server vpns are working fine. The only client I have running on a wireguard client vpn was already routed with VPN director and that was working fine following a reboot. Turning the killswitch on has had no ill-effects. It's all working perfectly. Very pleased! I was definitely having second and third thoughts about going ahead. Thanks very much Merlin and everyone else who spent time ironing out the problems.
regardless of what people post for issues you always have to test it on your own router yourself to be sure. Glad you ran into no issues!

Shot0001.jpg

Running smoothly here without any problems. Thank you @RMerlin :)

@dev_null
Diagnostics will continue until the router is rebooted. Occurs spontaneously, I can't understand the reasons.
Your mesh network is trying to use channels that are not supported by one of the devices. Turn off automatic channel selection on 5GHz. Choose a fixed channel below 132.

As I said, change your 5GHz wireless settings if you want the messages to go away.
Thank you, I changed it. Is it possible to explain the cause of the problem?
Code:
cfg_server: ! handling event in static chan case: (5g_1)wl1_chanspec:136u / (5g_2)wl2_chanspec:
cannot select chanspec with the wrong info

wl_chanspec_changed_action: Need to restart acsd due current 5G chanspec is un-available, (cur_5g=d986), static5G=1

Thank you, I changed it. Is it possible to explain the cause of the problem?
Code:
cfg_server: ! handling event in static chan case: (5g_1)wl1_chanspec:136u / (5g_2)wl2_chanspec:
cannot select chanspec with the wrong info

wl_chanspec_changed_action: Need to restart acsd due current 5G chanspec is un-available, (cur_5g=d986), static5G=1
Your mesh network is trying to use channels that are not supported by one of the devices.
One of your AiMesh devices does not support channels 132 and 136. Possibly because it was purchased from a different country than the other one.

Last edited:
Finally made the plunge myself with my AXE16000 and installed merlin. Installed the ROG version of 388.8_2 over the stock firmware. Went beautifully - amazingly it didn't even reset my public IP, which would reset if I sneezed too hard near it on the stock firmware. And as I was promised in another thread, I can now update the DHCP assignments without causing a public IP reset, which is fantastic. Turned on the NTP server and told it to redirect too, which seems to be working fine. So far it's all positive stuff, wish I'd done it earlier.

Anyways, I replied to you because I'm using the same router and not having your problems. Granted, I've got a fairly simple set up with no VPN previously configured and only a Netgear extender as far as access points. Good luck.

I finally made my mind to take the hard reset route.

Strangely even after hard reset firmware version is still 388.7_0; then tried to upgrade to 388.8_2 rog; got same error as before.
Fortunately after hard reset at least it allowed me to roll back to latest stock firmware. From there I can apply 388.8_2 without any issue.
Restoring to my saved settings also works just fine; even all my VPN clients are working.

Thanks everyone for your help! Merlin is the best and I just can't go back to stock firmware anymore :)

I finally made my mind to take the hard reset route.

Strangely even after hard reset firmware version is still 388.7_0; then tried to upgrade to 388.8_2 rog; got same error as before.
Fortunately after hard reset at least it allowed me to roll back to latest stock firmware. From there I can apply 388.8_2 without any issue.
Restoring to my saved settings also works just fine; even all my VPN clients are working.

Thanks everyone for your help! Merlin is the best and I just can't go back to stock firmware anymore :)
fwiw, i've done several "dirties" over the last year or so and again with 8_2. this go round, the network gods weren't with me and i had to do a reset. i mention this as there are several posts about resetting then manually re-entering the data.

so after the dirty upgrade, i observed some anomalous behavior. specifically, after restoring the old jffs file a couple clients with a router-side defined static ip, contained some other host id! even a couple more resets (sw combined with hw) showed no change. relief finally came once i manually re-entered the data. scary, actually.

the moral of the story, if a reset is ever required, you may want to consider manually re-entering your data.

After I installed the new Merlin firmware version yesterday my client devices could no longer connect to the Internet, only to my router and other internal devices. The AX88U router itself did still have an internet connection, but apparently it blocked clients. Pings from clients to the internet came back with message "Packet filtered".

Anyway, after a factory reset and restoring my JFFS partition, reentering some settings it worked flawlessly again. I've never had any troubles after installing a new Merlin firmware.

Factory reset and restoring your jffs partition contradict each other...

Factory reset and restoring your jffs partition contradict each other...
I also tried restoring the same settings I saved, that didn't work out. But after resetting my router and restoring the JFFS partition I saved it did work, client devices could ping external addresses again. So not restoring the settings file but restoring the JFFS partition instead seems to have fixed the issue still.

Factoryreset followed by your manually settings did the trick.

A factory reset worked indeed. Normally when installing a new Merlin firmware I don't need to do a factory reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.