What's new

How to Connect ONT to Managed Switch to Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigprimenumbers

New Around Here
Apologies in advance if I misname anything, or am a little unclear - I'm kind of a noob at this.
I'm currently in the process of switching from Xfinity (gigabit fiber) to Quantum Fiber. My original setup with Xfinity was:
  • The communication box in my home has an 8 port unmanaged switch in it that connects all of my rooms' ethernet jacks.
  • My modem is in my living room with a coax being fed to it. From it an ethernet cable runs to (one of) my Asus GT-AX11000 Pro's WAN port, giving it access to the internet.
  • From one of the LAN ports of my GT-AX11000 Pro, I run an ethernet cable to the wall jack, thus connecting my home's mesh nodes and other wired devices.
  • Everything works great.
Quantum Fiber came out and gave me a C5500XK ONT. I'm thinking of the following:
  • It now lives inside of my communications box, as that is where the fiber optic cable comes in to our home.
  • Turn the ONT device from PPoE to Transparent Bridge Mode (VLAN 201) in order to avoid double DHCP.
  • Use a managed switch in the comm box to plug into the ONT (and connect all the other rooms as they have been).
    • Set port 1 to untagged VLAN 201 and plug the ONT cable in to that port.
    • Leave the other ports at their default?
  • Use another managed switch in the living room.
    • Set port 1 to untagged VLAN 201 and plug the GT-AX11000 Pro WAN cable in to that port.
    • Leave the other ports at their default?
    • Plug a cable from any one of the GT-AX11000 Pro LAN ports in to any other of the managed switch's ports.
    • Plug the wall jack's cable in to any other port on the managed switch (to connect it back to the rest of my home network, so they can still be hardwired to my router).
Does this sound feasible? Is there a better way to do this? Am I going to make my home network slower than my current Xfinity setup (due to a single cable going from the living room wall to the managed switch)?

"Turn the ONT device from PPoE to Transparent Bridge Mode (VLAN 201) in order to avoid double DHCP."

Double NAT actually. There is almost no reason to avoid this and no penalty to avoid double NAT for a nominal residential service. IF you were running a server that requires WAN internet exposure you would have to create static routing rules to get past the double NAT. Second, any time there is an issue with the ISP service, they will want to access their device for testing, usually in router mode .

Is your ISP using IPv4 or IPv6 ?

"Turn the ONT device from PPoE to Transparent Bridge Mode (VLAN 201) in order to avoid double DHCP."

Double NAT actually. There is almost no reason to avoid this and no penalty to avoid double NAT for a nominal residential service. IF you were running a server that requires WAN internet exposure you would have to create static routing rules to get past the double NAT. Second, any time there is an issue with the ISP service, they will want to access their device for testing, usually in router mode .

Is your ISP using IPv4 or IPv6 ?
Okay thanks for the clarification. They're using IPv4 as far as I can tell. the IP I get assigned before going to bridge mode is v4, though I don't know if there's a V6 option.