What's new

How to connect, repeat, distant wireless signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Remo

New Around Here
I'm helping my sister resolve a wireless reception issue. She has a trailer in a vacation compound, very rural area. The office for the compound broadcasts a WiFi signal, /g I think, for the members use. The issue is the signal barely reaches her location, which is around 250 ft away, with a relatively open line of site. She's using a laptop with an internal antenna. The trailer is on a foundation, it won't be moving.

What I've suggested is an external antenna, mounted outside the trailer, going to "something" inside her trailer that would then broadcast a WiFi signal that she can pickup on her laptop. Ideally this signal would also be strong enough that her neighbor behind her, 50ft away+/- with zero signal now, would also be able to connect to that rebroadcast signal.

I'm fairly savvy with PCs, been building them for 20 years, do repairs on the side for friends, family and a few paying clients. I've done home networks, wired lans for lan parties, etc. but I'm on the ragged edge of my networking knowledge with this. I'm getting more confused the more I look for the best way to accomplish this, particularly when it comes to deciding exactly what that "something" will be.

I'm sure I'll need a directional antenna, a yagi perhaps. Then connect that to a repeater? or extender? or Access Point? A different SSID would, I think, be best. That would mean an extender?

Most of the repeaters and extenders I've seen that have replaceable antenna have two. If I connect a yagi or similar directional antenna to something like that do I need two, replacing both the stock antennas?

If I was doing this for me I'd go with my best guess and if it didn't work, try try again until I got it working. I'm not footing the bill here though so I want to get it right the first time. Cost is a consideration but not at the expense of compromising the objective.

What are your best recommendations for this? Is there a better way to approach it? Specific product recommendations would be appreciated also.

I thank you for any guidance the gurus here can provide.

Edit: I want to clarify I have no control over the equipment in the office. I've suggested that they upgrade, even volunteered a spare WNDR3700 I have. I was told that any change has to go through a committee and the chances of getting all the committee members together, AND their approving a change, was very very small. So any solution has to be something I can implement on my sister's end, at her trailer, with no changes at the office.

Last edited:
Simplest and cheapest solution is to get an USB WiFi adapter that has an external antenna.
Airlink or Amped.

Thanks for responding. That was my first thought but it doesn't address the "Ideally this signal would also be strong enough that her neighbor behind her, 50ft away+/- with zero signal now, would also be able to connect to that rebroadcast signal." part

Her laptop could be configured to share internet access so her friend could connect that way but that only works if they're both there at the same time. This is a vacation getaway so quite often the friend will be there when my sister, and her laptop, won't be. Her friend is willing to pay half the cost if it will get her internet access.

Any other ideas?

Is this likely to work with just one installed, at the trailer? I added to my original post, clarifying I can't make any changes at the office end of this. It has to be done entirely at the trailer end.

From the linked requirements I see it has an internal directional antenna. Assuming you think I can get away without having to install one at the office, I'd mount this outside the trailer such that it ccan be rotated, aimed at the office. Run POE to it and inside the trailer the other end of the ethernet could go to a wireless switch or extender. If my understanding is correct using a switch will rebroadcast the same SSID, an extender would have a different SSID.

In the case of the switch then there would be two broadcasts of the same SSID, one from the office, one from the trailer. PCs in the surrounding area would just connect to the one with the strongest signal?

Yes, you can use one just on the trailer end of things.

Yes, what you describe is the way it would work.