What's new

How to get RT-N56U out of AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darichard1

New Around Here
I put my router into AP mode to avoid a double-NAT issue with my Comcast cable modem (business service). I recently got Motorola Surfboard modem, which is not a router. But I now can't figure out how to get my Asus router out of AP mode.

I can't access the UI since I don't know the IP address. I can't find any way to reset the modem outside of the UI or telnet, and I need the IP for both of those. I tried firmware restoration, but the utility tells me it's not in rescue mode despite that I'm getting the slow-blinking power led. I saw the Asus video on this and followed all those steps. The router won't respond. Note that it's functioning just fine as an AP.

I also put it downstream from another router with a limited set of IPs. My thinking was it'll get an IP assigned and I'll be able find it. Nope - tried every IP in the range and still can't connect to it. (Apparently APs don't consume an IP address.)

I'm stuck. Is there no other way to reset it or connect to it?

Try using the Device Discovery tool from Asus's CD. The router might be in a different IP subnet (the Asus default IP is 192.168.1.1). If you still can't find it, then the simplest will be to reset it back to factory defaults.

Try using the Device Discovery tool from Asus's CD. The router might be in a different IP subnet (the Asus default IP is 192.168.1.1). If you still can't find it, then the simplest will be to reset it back to factory defaults.
Thanks. The discovery tool isn't finding it, despite my PC being connected to it as an AP. Different subnet is a good thought. It's downstream from another router and getting IPs from it - I assumed it would inherit that router's subnet setting.

Can you tell me how to reset the router to factory defaults? I would be happy to do this but can't figure out out. It's essentially a brick for me right now.

Last edited:
Thanks. The discovery tool isn't finding it, despite my PC being connected to it as an AP. Different subnet is a good thought. It's downstream from another router and getting IPs from it - I assumed it would inherit that router's subnet setting.

Can you tell me how to reset the router to factory defaults? I would be happy to do this but can't figure out out. It's essentially a brick for me right now.
u can always hold the reset button for 6 seconds and the power led will blink, then let go. if that dont happen, try rebooting it first. if that doesnt work, put it in rescue mode by turning the router off and hold the reset button while powering it up until the power led blink. then u can use rescue utility. hope it helps

u can always hold the reset button for 6 seconds and the power led will blink, then let go. if that dont happen, try rebooting it first. if that doesnt work, put it in rescue mode by turning the router off and hold the reset button while powering it up until the power led blink. then u can use rescue utility. hope it helps

Wish I could do that. The N56U doesn't have a reset button. As I mentioned above, rescue mode doesn't seem to be working. Even if I can get it to work it's not clear that flashing the firmware on this router resets the settings. It seems to be built for maximum configuration persistence.

Are u sure your rt-n56u dont have a reset button?? I have mine just near the usb ports.

RTFM :p

How to restore the system to its default settings?
  • Press the Reset button on the rear panel of the wireless router for more than five seconds.
  • Refer to the section Restoring/savingf/Uploading settings in Chapter 3 of this user manual.
The following are the factory default settings:
UserName: admin
Password: admin
Enable DHCP: Yes (if WAN cable is plugged in)
Domain Name: (blank)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 1: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 2: (Blank)
SSID: ASUS

Are u sure your rt-n56u dont have a reset button?? I have mine just near the usb ports.

My bad - yes, it has a reset button. I thought it was common knowledge that the reset button on this router does not perform a typical reset. Despite what the manual says, it doesn't reset like every other router on the planet.

If any of you are able to get this router to clear settings via the reset button I'd be interested to know. Everything else I've read indicates that my experience is not unique.

RTFM :p

How to restore the system to its default settings?
  • Press the Reset button on the rear panel of the wireless router for more than five seconds.
  • Refer to the section Restoring/savingf/Uploading settings in Chapter 3 of this user manual.
The following are the factory default settings:
UserName: admin
Password: admin
Enable DHCP: Yes (if WAN cable is plugged in)
Domain Name: (blank)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 1: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 2: (Blank)
SSID: ASUS

Manual is incorrect. Sorry for not stating this earlier.

My bad - yes, it has a reset button. I thought it was common knowledge that the reset button on this router does not perform a typical reset. Despite what the manual says, it doesn't reset like every other router on the planet.

If any of you are able to get this router to clear settings via the reset button I'd be interested to know. Everything else I've read indicates that my experience is not unique.

Does it have a WPS button? If it does, you could try the reset procedure that works for the Broadcom-based Asus routers:

1) Turn the router off
2) Press the WPS button and keep it pressed
3) Turn it on
4) Wait about 5 secs, then release the WPS button

See if that works.

Does it have a WPS button? If it does, you could try the reset procedure that works for the Broadcom-based Asus routers:

1) Turn the router off
2) Press the WPS button and keep it pressed
3) Turn it on
4) Wait about 5 secs, then release the WPS button

See if that works.
Yeah, have tried that too. Doesn't work on the N56U, at least not with the firmware version I have.

I got it figured out. Actually, I just stumbled into it. The suggestion above about being on different subnets was the answer. For some reason I also had to force my PC to use an IP that would be provided by the router by default (192.168.1.x). This makes no sense to me because in AP mode it's not assigning IPs. Nonetheless, forcing my PC to this IP got me connected via the discovery tool. From there it was all downhill.

Thanks for all the responses. Apologies for not being more clear in my original post. This is a nice router, but the documentation and logic behind resetting it could not be more confusing.

Oh, that's embarrassing. I totally forgot about that :eek: Since, I gone exclusively with Pavadan's firmware, things have been good.

Had similar issue...

Bought open box RTN56U, found IP but user name/password had changed and reset button was not resetting. Solution was to put router into recovery mode, then download latest official firmware and use Asus firmware update tool. Result was that unit took new firmware, and all settings were reset to factory defaults.

Now that Asus has migrated the rt-n56u to the same general firmware framework that is used with the rt-n66u (the 3.0.0.4.xxx rt-n56u versions), you can telnet into your router and use this command to erase your nvram as you can with the rt-n66u:

mtd-erase -d nvram

I've been using this with the newer Asus firmware with the rt-n56u now, whereas before this command wasn't available on the rt-n56u. It still isn't with Padavan, but you have the "reset" button for that firmware.

On the other hand, with the older Asus firmware on the rt-n56u, before they recently migrated to the new firmware framework, the reset button used to work correctly (at least for me *smile*).

Bought open box RTN56U, found IP but user name/password had changed and reset button was not resetting. Solution was to put router into recovery mode, then download latest official firmware and use Asus firmware update tool. Result was that unit took new firmware, and all settings were reset to factory defaults.

Yep, I've had the same experience, where I had to go to recovery mode and use the rescue utility to flash the router. Turns out to be an excellent plan if you're having trouble flashing your router.

If the Asus utility is not working then you can check the DHCP configuration of your main router. and keep checking 192.168.*.*** ... Like if your DHCP starts from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.150 then keep trying 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.6 ... so on and eventually you will find it ... it doesn't take more time than resetting and configuring again.

RT-n56u in Access Point mode & DLNA & Storage Functions

I put my router into AP mode to avoid a double-NAT issue with my Comcast cable modem (business service). I recently got Motorola Surfboard modem, which is not a router. But I now can't figure out how to get my Asus router out of AP mode.

I can't access the UI since I don't know the IP address. I can't find any way to reset the modem outside of the UI or telnet, and I need the IP for both of those. I tried firmware restoration, but the utility tells me it's not in rescue mode despite that I'm getting the slow-blinking power led. I saw the Asus video on this and followed all those steps. The router won't respond. Note that it's functioning just fine as an AP.

I also put it downstream from another router with a limited set of IPs. My thinking was it'll get an IP assigned and I'll be able find it. Nope - tried every IP in the range and still can't connect to it. (Apparently APs don't consume an IP address.)

I'm stuck. Is there no other way to reset it or connect to it?

Hello darichard1,

Did you have a chance to check if this router is capable of keep it's USB functions when set as access point?

Thanks!

If the Asus utility is not working then you can check the DHCP configuration of your main router. and keep checking 192.168.*.*** ... Like if your DHCP starts from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.150 then keep trying 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.6 ... so on and eventually you will find it ... it doesn't take more time than resetting and configuring again.

Registered just so I could post in this thread for people who have this problem other than myself. I checked the DHCP table in my parent router's web UI and found the AP router's (n56u) IP address. Typed it in and found the UI for my n56u. Hope this helps more down the road.

PS: There were a couple blank named devices attached to my parent router's network. Tip: narrow by wired or wireless depending on how your bridged router is connected, then see if a name is displayed. Mine was blank. Try entering whichever seems logical. I tried the first blank before the second worked.