What's new

How To Make A Windows Time Machine Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SOu

New Around Here
Hi,

I've been following a interesting an very helpful post back from 2011 by Kevin Herring with regards to setting up a Time Capsule backup server on a windows machine. (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/labels/time-machine)

Apologies for bringing up such an old topic, but I have run into a problem and wondered if the Author was still around to be able to help out at all?

Basically, I have started out using the pre-packaged packages as in Step 1, and this works flawlessly! Can't believe how easy this was to setup. However the issue I had was that the pre-packaged version only holds 100GB of backups. I have a spare 2TB drive which I wanted to use for Time Capsule, so decided to follow the easy to follow instructions.

Firstly I had issues with using the most recent debian install, as it would fail on the section where you install the SSH/Sys Utils, so found a Debian 6.0.2.1 install which has allowed me to get past the install issue with 7.7.0

Everything else has installed or run correctly with no errors noticed, and whilst I can get the MyTimeCapsule to mount in OS X, Time Machine just won't pick it up the network share.

Does anyone know why this happens? Have I missed a crucial step out somewhere (re installed twice to no avail)

Thanks,

SOu

My Synology NAS (low cost 2 bay) has a time-backup. Keeps last x months of all versions of all files in folders that I designate, on the NAS.
Saved my buns many times.

No doubt other NAS vendors have that too.

Thanks for the reply Stench, I already have a NAS system with my Windows Home Server (which is what I'm trying to set this up on) so don't want to have another networked device for file sharing :)

Just can't figure for the life of me why i can set this up automatically using the pre setup image bundle, but not from scratch :( I did use CoLinux before, but this seems more friendly to setup and manage. May have to go back to the CoLinux setup :(

Windows Home Server - being EOL, should be retired at some point.

Yeah, a great shame, however I'm still on the original WHS software, which I believe is EOL'd Jan 2013, so unsupported by Microsoft, although works well in my eyes, if it ain't broke......

WHS 2011 (which I don't use) is EOL April 2016, extended to April 2021

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!