What's new

How to power down r7800 with usb/sata disks attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luuc Paauw

Occasional Visitor
I want to power off my second router 7800...bridged...

Can i turn it off with power cord while there usb and esata disks with their own power .attaché...wd elements 3 Gb...do i use the spin down command from kamoj addon for this by activating it 30 minutes earlier ....or has anybody a better idea how to handel this ?

Btw how can i check my WD Elements usb Hdd's if its standby (hd-parm does not get the status) is there a command to check if it's in standby mode ?

@kamoj solution seems the simplest.

You can also unmount the disk from telnet or ssh.

Router has a poweroff and a halt command, but it seems to do the same as reboot.
Would be nice if there was a safe way to turn off the router (not compromising flash)

Well the usb hdd's i can detach them, with the basic menu of readyshare (is it the same as an unmount ?)
The sata disk does not...its labeled optware...how can i manage that one or is that not nesccesary on an sata hdd from e-sata...is only the usb hdd vulnerable ?

ps.

anybody know an android app weher i can remotely control is (not an browser) by executing the unmount from ssh ?

To answer your ps: any terminal app using ssh and allowing connection with a certificate should work as long as you install the certificate in /root/.ssh... or telnet with password.
I mostly use an iPad with Termius to work on the router. I don’t know if Termius is on Android.

For the eSata, it is probably considered as an internal drive. I don’t know if force unmount would work.

By the way, how long are you using eSata? I wanted to connect my SSD through eSata but @Voxel warned me about that since he had many problems with eSata and several R7500 (boards are very close).

Well the usb hdd's i can detach them, with the basic menu of readyshare (is it the same as an unmount ?)
The sata disk does not...its labeled optware...how can i manage that one or is that not nesccesary on an sata hdd from e-sata...is only the usb hdd vulnerable ?

ps.

anybody know an android app weher i can remotely control is (not an browser) by executing the unmount from ssh ?

well i have been using it for a several years (2-3) , until now i had no problems with e-sata...i know usb hdd's (NTFS) have to be safely to remove so you dont get any corruption...used 20 USB hdd's for my movie and xbox 360 collections...lost 3-4 hdd's with drive errors...in approx.. 10 years...allthough i have 2 r7800 (one router & one bridge, with excellant speeds..)

I dont know if i can power off the router and then leave the e-sata disk on... if anyone knows...please reply if i have to unmount it first.....i used the sata disk (ext4) for the entware of voxel and debian...maybe thats way i cannot unmount the drive...labeled optware as voxel instructions...so perhaps thats the problem why i can not unmount it (althoug i do nothing with the disk or entware/debian...) perhaps voxel has some ideas

i want to use my android, because i installed smartplugs to power off my routers/pc/tv/hdd's etc.which are normally all standby .hope that it will lower my usage of electricity, its better for the envirement
recently i know that i have 4-8 Kwh every night from the standby devices i guess...

Then optware label has nothing to do with the fact that you can’t unmount from web GUI; it is because web GUI only unmount USB, not eSata.
If you do a reboot command, the router will unmount the drive. You can unplug it just after the router shuts down, before it restarts.
Have you tried to manually unmount it from a terminal first?
unmount -f /mnt/optware

well i have been using it for a several years (2-3) , until now i had no problems with e-sata...i know usb hdd's (NTFS) have to be safely to remove so you dont get any corruption...used 20 USB hdd's for my movie and xbox 360 collections...lost 3-4 hdd's with drive errors...in approx.. 10 years...allthough i have 2 r7800 (one router & one bridge, with excellant speeds..)

I dont know if i can power off the router and then leave the e-sata disk on... if anyone knows...please reply if i have to unmount it first.....i used the sata disk (ext4) for the entware of voxel and debian...maybe thats way i cannot unmount the drive...labeled optware as voxel instructions...so perhaps thats the problem why i can not unmount it (althoug i do nothing with the disk or entware/debian...) perhaps voxel has some ideas

i want to use my android, because i installed smartplugs to power off my routers/pc/tv/hdd's etc.which are normally all standby .hope that it will lower my usage of electricity, its better for the envirement
recently i know that i have 4-8 Kwh every night from the standby devices i guess...

You can just turn OFF the R7800 at the power switch and then disconnect the attached USB Drive(s).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!