What's new

How to use a different subnet for WiFi guest network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First attempt here: https://pastebin.com/WnEeg41E

Usage notes and further commenting for which bits to edit will follow - tonight was not a good night, most of it spent in the hospital visiting a very poorly relative =[

General usage is:

./GuestWifi.sh wl0.2
./GuestWifi.sh wl0.1 vpnall 1 #redirects all wl0.1 over VPN client 1 N.B. subnet/clients must be added in Policy Routing (i have been working on the ip rule lookup bit to save this step, lets call that v2)
./GuestWifi.sh wl0.3 vpn 1 #allows wl0.3 to be routed over VPN client 3, for use with selective port routing over VPN N.B. same as example above

Usage notes and further commenting for which bits to edit will follow - tonight was not a good night, most of it spent in the hospital visiting a very poorly relative =[

General usage is:

./GuestWifi.sh wl0.2
./GuestWifi.sh wl0.1 vpnall 1 #redirects all wl0.1 over VPN client 1 N.B. subnet/clients must be added in Policy Routing (i have been working on the ip rule lookup bit to save this step, lets call that v2)
./GuestWifi.sh wl0.3 vpn 1 #allows wl0.3 to be routed over VPN client 3, for use with selective port routing over VPN N.B. same as example above

Thank you Jack, much appreciated for this. I will start playing with it the weekend.

Don't apologize and no need to rush, Health and Family have highest priority.

General usage is:

./GuestWifi.sh wl0.2
Thanks for this Jack Yaz; now I have some homework to do.

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this Jack Yaz; now I have some homework to do.

Cheers!

I'm working on an updated version to include parameters, and comments! At the moment it only does 2.4GHz as my 87U has a frankly weird 5GHz implementation. I'm lead to believe it's just wl1.1, wl1.2 etc.

Hey Jack, would you please share these scripts? Thanks!

If you want to try
Code:
#=========================================================================== © 2016-2018 Martineau, v01.01b (Public Beta)
#
# Configure Guest WiFi with new DHCP subnet and DNS using '/etc/dnsmasq.conf' and optionally allow LAN access to specified IPs
#
# Usage:    GuestSubnet  ['help' | '-h']
#                        {wifi_interface | ssid } | ['del[subnet]'] ['autodnsmasq'] [ 'ssid='name] ['ip='ipaddress[,ipaddress]]
#
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 will have the new DHCP subnet and DNS applied (default)
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1 del
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 firewall rules will be removed but subnet remains.
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1 delsubnet
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 firewall rules will be removed and subnet will be reset to Asus default.
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.2 autodnsmasq
#                        Guest WiFi 2.4GHz interface wl0.2 will have new DHCP and DNS directives inserted into /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
#                        if they don't already exist.
#                        NOTE: dnsmasq will be bounced.
#           GuestSubnet  wl1.2 ip=192.168.1.99,192.168.1.100
#                        Guest WiFi 5GHz interface wl1.2 will allow access to LAN devices 192.168.1.99,192.168.1.100
#           GuestSubnet  Guest242
#                        Guest WiFI SSID 'Guest242' (possibly wl0.2?) will have the new DHCP subnet and DNS applied

then let me know and I'll send you the link to the Public Beta.

Last edited:
Good catch! The LAN IP was probably a remnant where I was testing this in an Ubuntu VM for fear of disturbing the router. The nvram approach makes a lot more sense.

If you want to try

I would like to test your public beta Martineau if thats possible.

Thanks

Further updates, script now adds subnets to RPDB as required, including a patch for default gateway + Exclusive DNS if the policy routing table is blank in GUI and they are not generated by the firmware for any reason.

Next on to-do: remove RPDB if a guest network is changed from VPN routed to non VPN routed

Hi Jack,

I see you're using this, presumably to remove the trailing space if it exists from $IFACELIST.

awk '{ for (i=NF; i>1; i--) printf("%s ",$i); print $1; }'

It's a safe approach but is unnecessary as that variable is only used to generate a FOR word-list where whitespace is ignored.

Just sayin':)

Hi Jack,

I see you're using this, presumably to remove the trailing space if it exists from $IFACELIST.

awk '{ for (i=NF; i>1; i--) printf("%s ",$i); print $1; }'

It's a safe approach but is unnecessary as that variable is only used to generate a FOR word-list where whitespace is ignored.

Just sayin':)
I was flipping the order of the list so the iptables -I appeared in interface ascending order...it bugs me otherwise !

If you want to try
Code:
#=========================================================================== [emoji767] 2016-2018 Martineau, v01.01b (Public Beta)
#
# Configure Guest WiFi with new DHCP subnet and DNS using '/etc/dnsmasq.conf' and optionally allow LAN access to specified IPs
#
# Usage:    GuestSubnet  ['help' | '-h']
#                        {wifi_interface | ssid } | ['del[subnet]'] ['autodnsmasq'] [ 'ssid='name] ['ip='ipaddress[,ipaddress]]
#
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 will have the new DHCP subnet and DNS applied (default)
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1 del
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 firewall rules will be removed but subnet remains.
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.1 delsubnet
#                        Guest WiFI 2.4GHz interface wl0.1 firewall rules will be removed and subnet will be reset to Asus default.
#           GuestSubnet  wl0.2 autodnsmasq
#                        Guest WiFi 2.4GHz interface wl0.2 will have new DHCP and DNS directives inserted into /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
#                        if they don't already exist.
#                        NOTE: dnsmasq will be bounced.
#           GuestSubnet  wl1.2 ip=192.168.1.99,192.168.1.100
#                        Guest WiFi 5GHz interface wl1.2 will allow access to LAN devices 192.168.1.99,192.168.1.100
#           GuestSubnet  Guest242
#                        Guest WiFI SSID 'Guest242' (possibly wl0.2?) will have the new DHCP subnet and DNS applied

Of course I would like to give it a try, thanks!

Stupid question. What is the difference between Martineau and Jack Yaz' version? Is Martineau's version more restrictive in term of net access? I need something to keep my visitors from my PCs but not worry to much on they do with the internet access.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!