What's new

How to WAN and LAN on wireless router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jarajesh

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a small office network.
I have 3 PC's 2-windows/1-linux.

I have a Intranet web application that is installed on one of the windows pc.
Currently I use a wired connection so by LAN I am able to connect to the local intranet site from both the other PC's(Win and linux) by giving the url as the windows machine IP address.
I have a shared a folder in the PC where I have installed my web application and I am able to get access to these files from my other windows PC in the LAN.

My question is, If I use the following wireless router
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1357
  1. will I be able to share my Internet connection between the 3 pc's
  2. at the same time share the intranet site/shared folders/printer between them.

to put it simply will I be be able to create a LAN and also share the internet between these machines.

suggestion for any other routers in the same price range will be welcomed.

As I understood what you wrote, you have one LAN, one subnet, 3 PCs, one router connected to the Internet.

This is an ordinary situation. The routing functions for the WAN port do not get used for PC to PC traffic where all are on the same LAN/subnet.

Indeed, if you gave all PCs a static IP address, connected them all to an ethernet switch, had no router, your scenario would work. Except there'd be no connectivity (and NATing) out to the Internet/WAN.

So any router will provide your LAN connectivity and WAN/Internet connectivity. Wired or WiFi.

The price/features of Routers is another story, and you can read all the reviews here, and compare features, etc.

Your main challenge is the folder sharing, security, passwords within windows, and so on, which are not networking issues.

The one PC that is a web server should be given a static IP outside the DHCP address range, so it's unchanging, for the other PCs.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!