What's new

HT160 loses available network resources

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
I posted this on the official Netgear forum. The response was "Its Windows..." This isn't Windows. I banged away on everything, and I mean everything, and its not Windows.

I can duplicate this with turning HT160 on and off. Yes I understand that without 160 clients it doesn't make any difference. But hey, we do like to play.

No Intel wireless clients. Two laptops, one Atheros and one Broadcom. Dual band.

If I turn HT160 ON I lose the listing of available networked shared resources. I can access them via Mapping by putting in IP address directly. So its not like they are gone gone. They just don't show up in Network Places for the wireless clients. As one would expect the wired clients are not effected.

Turn HT160 OFF, all available shared/network resources popup quickly in Network Places on all clients.

The images are from one of the laptops which is why it shows up regardless.

See attached.......

Is this something to do with the SMB1 thing and Netgear not supporting SMB2/3? Does HT160 require something beyond SMB1 to work?

Attachments

• HT160 OFF.JPG
    HT160 OFF.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 596
  • HT160 ON.jpg
    HT160 ON.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 413
So, assuming that this is for an R7800, which firmware are you using?

Is this something to do with the SMB1 thing and Netgear not supporting SMB2/3? Does HT160 require something beyond SMB1 to work?

I tried to test with my 1.0.2.36SF. My Windows is Windows 7. But I disabled SMB1 according to this instruction:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph...-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows

So I assume that only SMB2 is used.

HT160 is on but I still can see my router in the listing of available networked shared resources. Qualcomm Atheros adapter.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking. I'll keep looking.

I have SMB1 enabled on both laptops. Might try disabling the this evening and testing.

As I understand it, could be wrong of course, these Netgear routers only use SMB1.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking. I'll keep looking.
Good luck :).

As I understand it, could be wrong of course, these Netgear routers only use SMB1.
Not quite correct statement. Let's say more carefully: Currently stock firmware for these Netgear routers uses only SMB1.

It is because stock firmware uses modified Samba version 3.0.24. And SMB2 is supported by Samba starting from 3.6.0 (3.6.5 is used in my version, so it supports SMB2).

Voxel.

No Intel wireless clients. Two laptops, one Atheros and one Broadcom. Dual band.

If I turn HT160 ON I lose the listing of available networked shared resources. I can access them via Mapping by putting in IP address directly. So its not like they are gone gone. They just don't show up in Network Places for the wireless clients. As one would expect the wired clients are not effected.

Turn HT160 OFF, all available shared/network resources popup quickly in Network Places on all clients.
I don't have a Netgear router so I'm guessing the HT160 on/off setting is on the router and not the client.

I suggest that you plug the laptops into the router using a wired connection (disable the wireless adapter), then turn HT160 on to recreate the problem.

If you still see the problem it suggests that HT160 mode is disabling Samba. A bug?

If you don't see the problem it suggests that HT160 mode is not allowing broadcast traffic across the wireless link.

P.S. Is the "TVSHOWS" share on the router or another device?

If plugged in wired HT160 is irrelevant.

TVSHOWS is a NAS drive hard wired to the router. The R7800 shows as a share because it has a USB 3.0 drive plugged in being shared.

If plugged in wired HT160 is irrelevant.
It should be irrelevant. But it still needs to be tested to eliminate the possibility (albeit unlikely) of a causal bug in the router.

I'd willing to bet when I disable/removed SMB1 off those laptops the shares will show up with HT160.........
This is the first time you have mentioned this :rolleyes:. If you have disabled SMB1 on the laptops then you won't see your Samba shares. But that should be true whether you're using HT160 or not.

If you have disabled SMB1 on the laptops then you won't see your Samba shares.

jsmiddleton4 mentioned that he is using 36SF now, i.e. not stock firmware, but my build where SMB2 support is available. So if he disables SMB1 on the laptop, he should be able to see Samba shares.

On the other hand I was able to see Samba shares with SMB1 enabled and with SMB1 disabled on my laptop. I just waned to say that IMO problem is not related to SMB version.

Voxel.

jsmiddleton4 mentioned that he is using 36SF now, i.e. not stock firmware, but my build where SMB2 support is available. So if he disables SMB1 on the laptop, he should be able to see Samba shares.
Being able to "browse" a Samba share in Windows explorer is a feature of SMB1 only, not SMB2. It was not included in SMB2 for security reasons. If he has turned off SMB1 support in Windows then he will not be able to see the shares anymore.

Note that he will still be able to see other Windows PC's because they use a different mechanism than SMB.

On the other hand I was able to see Samba shares with SMB1 enabled and with SMB1 disabled on my laptop.
Theoretically that shouldn't be possible if the SMB1 client has been disabled.

I just waned to say that IMO problem is not related to SMB version.
That may well be true.

Last edited:
I tried to test with my 1.0.2.36SF. My Windows is Windows 7. But I disabled SMB1 according to this instruction:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph...-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows

So I assume that only SMB2 is used.

HT160 is on but I still can see my router in the listing of available networked shared resources. Qualcomm Atheros adapter.

Voxel.
To disable SMB1 client support in Windows 7 these are the commands to use from the link you provided.

You must run these commands as an administrator:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

Then restart the computer.

I woulda lost my bet. Even on the wired clients and even after making sure I had addressed enabling SMB2 if I removed SMB1/CIFS support I could see no shared resources through the R7800.

Making sure SMB2 is enabled was a bit convoluted.......

Re-enabling SMB1 and shares are back and present.

No positive impact then on the wireless clients when enabling HT160 and no longer seeing shares.

Dang.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!