What's new

Hw Acceleration Queation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxsteel

Regular Contributor
I would like to know the purpose of this option. Now it is shown as Enabled (CTF only) under my RT-AC68P tools page.

Does it effect the performance of WAN speed only? or also effects the local wifi network performance?

It's a proprietary software component from Broadcom that speeds up LAN to WAN performance by bypassing parts of the Linux kernel when performing NAT. So it only affects WAN performance.

If I recall correctly, the AC68 can reach around 250mbit without NAT/HW acceleration and near gigabit with acceleration.

It's incompatible with certain features, such as traditional QOS and traffic monitoring, and automatically disabled if those features are enabled.

More info here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/broadcoms-hardware-acceleration.18144/

its more of hardware acceleration. It bypasses the software stack and does the processing in the hardware accelerators. All routers have this even mikrotik routerOS has implemented hardware acceleration which has the same restrictions too (no QoS or firewall or PPP). At least in mikrotik packets that can be accelerated do get accelerated while the rest will go through the standard rules so it has a good compromise of configurability and speed.

so.. how do u choose which way to go - use qos or go with with HA? or something entirely different:)
im using merlins latest on a 68p

Adaptive QoS is compatible with hardware acceleration.

Adaptive QoS is only in the AC87U and AC3200 that have additional CPUs ( i really wish to access those extra ARM CPUs normally otherwise you cant call it a pentacore).

Adaptive QoS is only in the AC87U and AC3200 that have additional CPUs ( i really wish to access those extra ARM CPUs normally otherwise you cant call it a pentacore).

It's also available on the RT-AC68 and RT-AC56. The above poster mentionned he had an RT-AC68P, which does have it.

it does :O? I've been updating my asus AC68U with your firmware and i dont see AI protection or adaptive QoS.

Sure is, Asus added it to these two models when they bumped the base firmware version to 3.0.0.4.378.xxx on these two models and switched to a 64 MB rootfs, a few months ago.

it does :O? I've been updating my asus AC68U with your firmware and i dont see AI protection or adaptive QoS.

Yes, I just double checked on my customers RT-AC68U, it does have it and it is working well.

Have you performed a reset to factory defaults lately after you upgraded the firmware?

nope, though i'll only get to do that in september since i took it offline when i went for summer. I'll be sure to check than.

Reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP should be a requirement after each firmware update. Without doing so, bugs or glitches mean less than nothing and missing features is a feature in itself. :)

I use it in AP mode because i have my mikrotik CCR1036 doing the routing.

Then you won't have access to any of the AiProtection features, since those are intended for managing the WAN connection.