What's new

I can't decide which router to get.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xuse

New Around Here
I'm pretty set on an Asus router because of the third party firmware support, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to get. This is for a small home network. (2 Computers a laptop and 3 phones. 3 bedroom house)

Asus RT-AC56U - £80
Asus RT-AC66U - £109
Asus RT-AC68U - £145 < This is way too expensive. In an ideal world I would have went for this.

So that narrows it between the 56U and the 66U. As far as I can tell the 66U has only a single core processor while the 56U is using a dual core. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this really matters for a router or not.

However as far as I can tell the 66U has better wireless coverage with it's external antennas.

Perhaps someone here could edge me in the right direction?

Thank you.

It really depends on what you need from the CPU. The AC56U uses a dual core ARM A9 CPU like the AC68U whereas the AC66U uses a MIPS based single core CPU.
Take a look at the features you need such as your internet speed and if you need to use QoS and firewall. SAMBA, 5Ghz performance and such. 5Ghz doesnt need big antennas but 2.4Ghz does however the antennas arent really much different because behind those fancy looking plastics are metal wires unlike the real antennas.

A well placed AC56U should be able to cover your house. CPU only matters if you have more than 100Mb/s of internet and need to use QoS and firewall or if you use stuff like file sharing, torrent client, VPN.

I don't have the fastest connection.
1656031.png

I would probably use QoS and Firewall features in the router.

I do torrent and use a VPN on my computer. I most likely wouldn't use the VPN function inside the router.

Based on this would the cheaper AC56U be good enough or should I still consider the 66U?

VPN would be if you used VPN on your router. Either way both routers are fast enough for your connection with QoS and firewall and since you arent using VPN or files on your router both routers will work well. Simply consult this website's wireless charts to compare both routers.

The RT-AC56U is the only one to consider, unless you have 3 antennae clients that need the maximum throughput possible today.

The RT-AC66U is almost identical (hardware) to the RT-N66U and is not something I would recommend buying.

Your connection speed is not what you would base this decision on (all routers will keep up without issue).

Getting the most current hardware vs. 3+ year old hardware is.

When paired with the RMerlin firmware, or the john9527 or hggomes forks, the RT-AC56U is a great router with many of the features and over 95% of the performance (with 2 antennae clients) of the hardware identical (except for an extra stream / antennae) RT-AC68U.

You may want to wait to see if it goes on sale for your part of the world (here, it regularly goes for $100 or less).

If you can locate the router anywhere close to the center of the area(s) to be covered, paying more for extra (or external) antennae will get you single digit increases in performance and range, if any*.

* Again, with 2 antennae clients or less.

Sales are really uncommon in the UK, unfortunately. We pay a premium on hardware compared to you guys, it's just how it is.

Thank you very much for your post, I had no idea the hardware was so old in the AC66U. That more or less seals it for me. I'll buy the RT-AC56U. Thank you very much.

The AC68U is an excellent choice, despite the cost. Remember: every network device will use the router, so make sure that you understand the sacrifice of using a lesser model. I have several AC68U (four in total) in my custody and they are excellent devices. I realize that gear in the UK is pricey, so I would think it is that much more important to ensure to avoid 'under-buying' \ not buying a powerful enough router.

Last edited: