What's new

I have an old Brother HL-2300D, and an Asus AX86U. How do I achieve AirPrint?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

staralfur12

New Around Here
Hi all

I have an old Brother LH-2300D and I'm looking to run an AirPrint server on my Merlin flashed AX86u

Here's my amateur attempt so far: I've done a lot of googling and I've installed Entware on a USB Drive and all and installed CUPS, ran cupsd but I went to 192.168.50.1:631 on my computer browser and connection refused

Here's my amateur thinking of what I need to do:
1. somehow wget cups installation into the router's native storage,
2. install cups onto the router, configure cups for my brother printer I guess
3. make a script that runs cupsd everytime router boots/reboots.

Otherwise I'm kind of out of my wits end. I would love any help. There's very little tutorials or even forum threads out there on this topic.

If you haven't done so already, use the forum search feature to search for "CUPS" and search for "AirPrint". There are a number of past discussions on both on this forum, and various attempts to use them.

You could go the add-on Entware route and then install CUPS/AirPrint through Entware. Some discussion here on Entware and AirPrint here:

Or if your router is supported by other firmware like DDWRT or Tomato or OpenWRT you could see if those firmwares support CUPS/AirPrint.

I assumed there were MAC users due to the reference to AirPrint, which means you should try to use the LPR protocol. Note my own experience with this was patchy!

If you haven't done so already, use the forum search feature to search for "CUPS" and search for "AirPrint". There are a number of past discussions on both on this forum, and various attempts to use them.

You could go the add-on Entware route and then install CUPS/AirPrint through Entware. Some discussion here on Entware and AirPrint here:

Or if your router is supported by other firmware like DDWRT or Tomato or OpenWRT you could see if those firmwares support CUPS/AirPrint.
That github tutorial seems very promising however I ran into a snag, my Entware architecture doesn't seem to match any of the ones in this tutorial
Screenshot 2024-09-16 150106.png

Ok so I did somehow miraculously get CUPS to run its server on localhost:631

I can confirm this because inside the router ssh I did wget localhost:631 and it downloaded index.html which has CUPS contents in it.

However, on my PC browser it doesn't allow me to connect to 192.168.50.1:631 citing connection refused. Does anyone know how I can allow an external LAN computer to access port 631?
Thanks.

Here's a snippet from /opt/etc/cupsd.conf (my PC is DHCP static ip'ed to 192.168.50.12)
Screenshot 2024-09-16 170740.png

UPDATE: Fixed this myself by adding to cupsd.conf:
Code:
Listen 192.168.50.1:631
Whether this is janky or not, idk but it allows me to connect to my CUPs via external browser.

Last edited:
So I've hit another knowledge gap. Presented by the CUPS screen, I have no clue how to configure my Brother HL-L2300D for it. I know it's connected to the router and it's under the "lp0" in usb devices, other than that I don't know how to get its IP address or whatever to add it to CUPS.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 175907.png

I assumed there were MAC users due to the reference to AirPrint, which means you should try to use the LPR protocol. Note my own experience with this was patchy!
LOL - my Brother MFC supports AirPrint out of the box - it doesn't need any router support.

It just works...

With AsusWRT - make sure you have the full Avahi packages, along with a recent CUPS, and it should just work with the printer attached over USB

Worst cast - use a RPi - install the full packages there, and attach the printer, again, should just work.

LOL - my Brother MFC supports AirPrint out of the box - it doesn't need any router support.
The OPs printer is USB only, and I made the hats off comment because I always had the impression they were unreliable. I'm pretty sure I've set more than one of these up on Netgear routers using ReadyShare - and it wasn't that difficult, but it's probably a decade-ish ago!

The OPs printer is USB only, and I made the hats off comment because I always had the impression they were unreliable. I'm pretty sure I've set more than one of these up on Netgear routers using ReadyShare - and it wasn't that difficult, but it's probably a decade-ish ago!

The Brother HL-L2300D is the same printer we had in our office a couple of jobs back - and the RPi with CUPS was what we did to enable both network sharing with Windows and AirPrint - worked great and everyone was happy...

Here's a quick walk-thru on using the Pi

And if one has the Pi on 24/7, can always leverage that as a PiHole, killing two birds with one stone

So I've hit another knowledge gap. Presented by the CUPS screen, I have no clue how to configure my Brother HL-L2300D for it. I know it's connected to the router and it's under the "lp0" in usb devices, other than that I don't know how to get its IP address or whatever to add it to CUPS.

View attachment 61517
Use socket://localhost:9100. Alternatively you could use the LPR protocol and specify LPRServer as the queue name. FYI device /dev/usb/lp0 has been created because you have (correctly) enabled the router's Network Printer Server option.

Hi all

I have an old Brother LH-2300D and I'm looking to run an AirPrint server on my Merlin flashed AX86u

Here's my amateur attempt so far: I've done a lot of googling and I've installed Entware on a USB Drive and all and installed CUPS, ran cupsd but I went to 192.168.50.1:631 on my computer browser and connection refused

Here's my amateur thinking of what I need to do:
1. somehow wget cups installation into the router's native storage,
2. install cups onto the router, configure cups for my brother printer I guess
3. make a script that runs cupsd everytime router boots/reboots.

Otherwise I'm kind of out of my wits end. I would love any help. There's very little tutorials or even forum threads out there on this topic.
Is the router near enough to your printer that you could plug a USB cable from the printer into a USB port on the router? If yes you can make the Brother into a network printer. That is how I have my old Brother laser printer connected.

Did you manage to access CUPS from a PC/Mac browser?

I haven't installed CUPS in ages (I have a RPi2 2B running as an AirPrint server since 2015), but I recall that there was a change that I had to make for CUPS to be administered remotely (i.e. outside the local host), so you might check the following in your cupsd.conf file (this is what is in mine, yours might be different. If I recall correctly, I just added "Allow @Local" in the places below):

Code:
# Restrict access to the server...
ServerAlias *
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @Local
</Location>

#Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @Local
</Location>

#Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @Local
</Location>

#Restrict access to log files...
<Location /admin/log>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @Local