What's new

I need some advise on my next router, thanks!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gapson

New Around Here
I have a home networking setup as below diagram (sorry for the bad photoshop skills!:D):-

942988_10151610371584074_933559691_n.jpg

I am currently having a broadband of 100mb in my country and I could get 45 mb/s for download and 25mb/s for upload speed using speedtest.net as reference.

I am facing an issue that my TV can not handle large bandwidth videos from my NAS, it will appear either video and audio not being synchronized, or the video to be choppy.

Therefore, I am not sure if it would be my router (Linksys E1200) being the culprit which requires upgrade? (Anyone got a suggestion? BTW, I am not into ASUS router since I got a very bad experience with them)

Besides, does anyone know LG smart tv using Gigabit lan? (Been browsing LG web site and found nothing about connection speed at all...:()

Thanks for the help! :D

Rearange Network

Asan experiment take a few links out of your network chain an d connect your NAS directly to a port on your router.

This might be better setup even if you do go ahead and purchase a more powerful router.

Asan experiment take a few links out of your network chain an d connect your NAS directly to a port on your router.

This might be better setup even if you do go ahead and purchase a more powerful router.

Just tried, no luck...:(:(

HD video will work fine with a 100 Mbps connection.

If the videos are choppy when you connect the NAS via Ethernet, then it is a NAS problem, TV problem or interaction between the two, not a network problem.

HD video will work fine with a 100 Mbps connection.

If the videos are choppy when you connect the NAS via Ethernet, then it is a NAS problem, TV problem or interaction between the two, not a network problem.

Thanks Thiggins, any recommendation on the video and audio format?:D

If you are using Ethernet, even uncompressed Blu-ray rips should play fine.
Your problems could be due to the NAS doing something else that is causing a lot of head seeks. Media file reindexing might be one cause.

Ever consider that the NAS is the bottleneck - looks like you have plenty of bandwidth, and it's not a bad layout - a bit of hops, but you've localized the content play for the LAN - WAN, I'd reconsider the hops outside to the demarc...

Ever consider that the NAS is the bottleneck - looks like you have plenty of bandwidth, and it's not a bad layout - a bit of hops, but you've localized the content play for the LAN - WAN, I'd reconsider the hops outside to the demarc...

Thanks sfx2000, the reason why I placed the NAS under the switch is bcoz I need gigabit connection between the NAS and my PC for photoshop, file management and video editing. If I have placed the NAS under my router it could only be connected in Ethernet speed due to E1200 router which is undesirable....:p

Thanks sfx2000, the reason why I placed the NAS under the switch is bcoz I need gigabit connection between the NAS and my PC for photoshop, file management and video editing. If I have placed the NAS under my router it could only be connected in Ethernet speed due to E1200 router which is undesirable....:p

I'd consider the performance of the NAS to be honest...

I have question which I don’t know the answer to that might help is, if you are using AV500 power modules and you add a AV200 power module will the AV200 power module have an overall slowdown effect on the Ethernet power network. Maybe you are seeing a slow because of the AV200 power module. You might try running with it turned off and see if you gain speed. I may be all wrong but it is a thought I had from way back when we ran hubs instead of switches.