What's new

I want to buy a new router and I have a couple of questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fallen12

New Around Here
Hello,
Now I have Asus AC66U and lately it started to DC sometimes and the warrenty is gone so I figured that I have no choice but to buy another router.
I have a big house and 3 gamers computer and the AC66u handle them not bad at all (Only the 5ghz didnt signal too far to reach the computers so that was of his big Disadvantage)

My dilemma is between Asus-AC86U or AC-88U and NETGEAR R7800.
what will be the most useful for my house requirements ?

All three of them will give you pretty much the same thing wifi-wise in terms of speed and coverage. The difference mostly lies in the extra features (like AiProtection) or USB/VPN performance (the RT-AC86U being much faster than either other models), provided you actually use those features.

The R78000 might also have better or worse compatibility, being based on a totally different chipset than the Asus models (both use a Broadcom chip). Some clients might play better with Qualcomm, others with Broadcom. This is usually more visible with cheap IoT devices however.

If you have coverage issues, consider having a repeater or an access point added to your main router. You could for instance replace the main router, and try using the RT-AC66U as a repeater - you'll see if it fares better in such a use, or if it's really starting to fail.

All three of them will give you pretty much the same thing wifi-wise in terms of speed and coverage. The difference mostly lies in the extra features (like AiProtection) or USB/VPN performance (the RT-AC86U being much faster than either other models), provided you actually use those features.

The R78000 might also have better or worse compatibility, being based on a totally different chipset than the Asus models (both use a Broadcom chip). Some clients might play better with Qualcomm, others with Broadcom. This is usually more visible with cheap IoT devices however.

If you have coverage issues, consider having a repeater or an access point added to your main router. You could for instance replace the main router, and try using the RT-AC66U as a repeater - you'll see if it fares better in such a use, or if it's really starting to fail.

so which of them is the real beast ? they are not the same, one of them must be better than the other.
all the good reviews in this forums goes to the R7800, but Im still in confusion because I had realy good experaince with the AC66U so my mind are going to the AC86U but the R7800 seems to be much better considering the reviews in this site.

so which of them is the real beast ? they are not the same, one of them must be better than the other.
all the good reviews in this forums goes to the R7800, but Im still in confusion because I had realy good experaince with the AC66U so my mind are going to the AC86U but the R7800 seems to be much better considering the reviews in this site.

You might wanna go on staples(dot)com and look up the R7800 today to see if you can find one in your area.

Its $130 and if you do visa check out, you get additional $25 off

I just picked one up this morning. That price was hard to pass up.

You might wanna go on staples(dot)com and look up the R7800 today to see if you can find one in your area.

Its $130 and if you do visa check out, you get additional $25 off

I just picked one up this morning. That price was hard to pass up.
If I was in the US right now I would do it